Help with gas hose

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Had no idea which forum to post this to. Its not a gas grill hose but its the hose to my catfish cooker. I've not used it in maybe 20 years. Dug it out of the shed and while the hose is still flexible, I'm not sure I trust it.

I was just at Home Depot looking for gas grill hoses and I can't find a hose with a similar fitting on the end that connects to the cooker. I can't describe it, best I can do is post pics. It looks to be about a 3/8" male fitting with a spring. I'm sure the spring can transfer to a new hose, its purpose is to keep the air control piece in place.

Will I have to get someone to make this hose up for me ? Thanks in advance.

swzhQqq.jpg

xENhwVX.jpg

Kun7iuI.jpg

RgKZKxm.jpg

Will I have to get someone to make this hose up for me ? Thanks in advance.

You can get a standard hose and then they have fittings to adapt to it. You might have better luck going to a Ace Hardware or TrueValue or a propane supplier than Hone Depot as the staff will be more knowledgeable. But all of those places will have what you need.

Yep, that should do it. I was thinking I'd have to connect the right fitting directly to the hose, but using a nipple as an adapter should work.

It would probably be the least expensive way to do that, also.

Hi Lynn and Bill. From your photo it is hard to tell if it is a 3/8 or 1/4 national pipe thread fitting so I would suggest taking the old hose with you to make sure everything is compatible. Most BBQ hoses now come with a 3/8 flare fitting which is not compatible with the national pipe thread coupler that Bill posted. Sorry I don’t know how to post links here but if you search Amazon for “propane 3/8 male flare to 3/8 npt” you will see the difference. And you will need some propane pipe tape or dope to seal the npt threads but not on the flared end. Maybe LMichaels will chime in here if I am wrong as he knows more about this than me.

Richard.

Your cooker does not have a standard hose/regulator assembly. You need to look for a high pressure regulator/hose assembly. Though honestly I think you'll be fine with your old one

LMichaels, would you mind explaining how you you identify the difference between high and low pressure hoses so I don’t accidentally use the wrong one? Sorry Lynn, didn’t mean to hijack your post. Thanks, Richard.

LMichaels, would you mind explaining how you you identify the difference between high and low pressure hoses so I don’t accidentally use the wrong one?

There’s no picture of the regulator so I’m guessing that he is going by experience that these type of burners usually have a high pressure regulator on them.

OOOPS, that hose and cooker is for High pressure systems it looks like. Make sure you get a compatible hose, not an 11WC one.

Last edited:

Back