Help with Big Company BBQ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmo:
since my president and many of the guests are Jewish so it is a religious issue to have pork on the menu.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Get some corned beef and pastrami, some freshly baked breads and rolls, potato salad, cole slaw,mustard etc.. Get some pastries for dessert. Tell them you smoked the meats. Or, make a butt and invite me.
icon_smile.gif
I hope they don't expect all kosher meats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About PP, I think Beef Brisket is better in my case since my president and many of the guests are Jewish so it is a religious issue to have porc on the menu. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a discussion related to this the other day with a Jewish coworker. Now, different people adhere differently, but he explained that some Jews may have a problem with brisket that has been cooked in a cooker that has previously cooked pork. Just something to be aware of.

Or, it's up to those with the restrictions to be aware, and to ask the appropriate questions, if they wish. Ime, it rarely happens.

Hey KK, i am still unsure what rolls are? Are we talking about baguette bread cut into pieces?

For the burgers to make it small, do you have any recommendation on where i can find a burger shaper or tool that can help me to shape the meat into small patties?

About the chuck roll vs. brisket, just curious to know what made you prefer the chuck roll in this case.

I will go check the soup recipes.

I forgot to mention by the way that I have to do corn on the cub as this was mentioned in the invitation that there will be corn. I really wanted to grill them but my coworkers freaked out when they heard that. They never heard about grilled corn and they want me to steam it instead. So i will be bringing my electric steamer from home and will need one chafer just for the corn.

Thanks so much
icon_smile.gif

No, not baguette. Not loaf bread. Rolls. Dinner rolls. Available at any bakery or supermarket. Just get some that have some substance. The pic above of the plattered sliders are made with dinner rolls. Small rolls one might serve with dinner, in a basket on the table. Here are a few more:

DSCN8328+-+dinner+rolls+-+1.jpg

exps18478_QC10251D58A.jpg

Dinner+Rolls.jpg

About 2.5 inches square, if square, 2.5-3 inches in diameter if round.

I know of no small patty maker - but there probably is one. Try a high end kitchen retail store. But they are easy to make by hand. After you make your mixture and work it a little so that it is sticky, just break off a small amount and form into patties. If you have a scale you're probably looking at 2-2.5 ounces of meat - but it is easy just to eyeball. Make them as thick as a 'normal' burger, but make them a bit bigger around than the rolls you will be getting, to compensate for the shrinkage that will occur.

Not chuck roll, chuck roasts. (Roasts are cut from the chuck roll or the shoulder clod.) Get thick-ish ones. I prefer them over brisket because they are easier to work with when making pulled (or chopped) beef, imo, and are more available, and are usually cheaper. Chuck is stringier than brisket (more like pulled pork) and thus my recommendation to chop it. It will make it pile better on the little rolls.

Forgive me, but what kind of people do you work with!? Never heard of grilled corn? Freaked when they heard about it - and didn't want to immediately try some!? Brother!! You need new co-workers.
icon_smile.gif

I've been following this and its way better than reality tv. This has reputations, clients, jobs, futures, feelings but mainly egos on the line! K kruger, I applaud u sir. Above and beyond for your fellow brother in q. I made your cold watermelon tomato soup for a pot luck party. I liked it, but amazingly it got ZERO reviews. I wasn't asking people but no one told me what they thought. Prolly the if u don't say something nice. It was actually an after thought to even make it. My buddy was doing ribs on his new grill so I didn't want to bring competing q. So I was gonna bring a watermelon. But the melon I had bought for this was freaking rotten! Luckily I still had some leftover from the last melon. I really like watermelon. But it wasn't enough for everybody but I had 6 cups and I remembered seeing the soup recipe. Thank K!

Biting my nails in anticipation for ya elmo!

I often do the tom-melon for the foodies and the adventurous. It's pretty tame but the classic and almond are more "accessible". Glad you liked it.

hey guys, so i am one day away from our biggest company BBQ ever.

I was not able to reply the past few days because they blocked the forum access at work and did not get a chance to check net at home lately.

Thanks KK for the bread pics, i found excellent small sized burger bread at costco.

I finally made the list of food to get and will go buy them first thing tomorrow.

I even made a time sheet with what food gets ready to be served and when. This is first time i do something like this sheet.

I will be buying a chef hat and jacket tomorrow to look professional while cooking in front of suppliers. Cant wait to try the chef hat and see how i look in it lol

So the budget of the food has finally got approved. This is the most expensive and most attended BBQ that I will be cooking for so far in my life. Our BBQ expenses reached $1100 CAN and there are 51 confirmed attendees so far.

We will have a stand with a sink and a professional bartender will be coming to make drinks but no more waiters.

The past few days were somewhat unpleasant having to argue with my colleague about what i need for BBQ. Unfortunately, i have to keep going without some things that they thought are not important. They took out the chafers and the knife set i wanted to get. We dont have any good knives at work and they dont want to spend the money for an ok set so my colleague will be bringing a knife from his home. I told him it better be a good one after getting fed up of arguing with him and after another member told me off and told me that knives are not important!!!!!

Anyhow, so some changes in menu had to be done as i am too nice of a person and they changed things on me.

The only thing i insisted on is a big piece of good quality meat and will be bringing in my WSM for this. I will be getting a strip loin roast from Costco tomorrow. It is on special for $14.99/kg (CAN) and it is fresh AAA Canadian beef and is about 5 kg.

I read on net to leave it in fridge uncovered for a day to age the meat so i will do that.

I need advice on good rub/marinade for it and advice on cooking time and temp. I read it is about 30 mins per pound, and to remove roast at 140F, is that about right?

Things were getting too complicated so will be making just one king of mini burgers and will be making some nice butterfly BBQ shrimp. My colleague loves Tuna so Tuna steak for him. Another colleague will be in charge of chicken & lamb on his small charcoal BBQ. I will also make rack of lamb, which i am happy about because i know people would love it.

So i need to go get some sleep for tomorrow as i will be going many places to buy the stuff.

If you guys have any advice on how to cook tuna steaks and present them and for strip loin roast, i will really appreciate it.

Thanks

elmo
icon_smile.gif

The chafers are key. You need to be able to cook the food before guests arrive and keep it hot. Oh, well.

A 5k strip loin should only take ~15-20 min/lb but this totally depends on cooktemp. I'd go with ~325. Do not cook it from a cold state. Pull it from the fridge a couple hours before cooking so it can warm. Process or mince a head of peeled garlic cloves, add some pepper (black, white and green if you have all three), add a little thyme and just a touch of oil and mash it all together well. Add a pinch of salt and stir in. Dry the roast well with paper towels then salt it fairly generously all over. Apply the garlic paste over the salt.

Take the roast to an internal of 130. Remove then tent it with foil. Rest 20-25 minutes before slicing. That size roast typically serves maybe 20 - so slice thinly.

On a well-oiled clean grill sear the tuna steaks over high heat, turning once, till medium-rare. Remove, slice into 1/4-inch slices, fan on a platter, salt lightly, serve immediately.

I have more than a dozen chef outfits - but no chef hats. I (unlike many others) look ridiculous in a chef hat.

Hey KK, So I will take out the roast out of fridge for 2 hrs before cooking. For the pepper, garlic and thyme, do i cut them all to very small pieces first to turn them into paste?

I am planning to run the WSM using minion method with 250 to 275F temp. So i am guessing that would go to about 30 mins per lb.

I went to a restaurant yesterday and ordered a tuna steak sandwich. They served it rare and it was almost as if i was eating raw fish. Only a small layer from top and bottom were white and cooked but you can clearly see all around it, on the sides that middle portion was still raw and purple. I did not bring it back to kitchen and decided to eat it as is. It was a good but a bit too raw for me. Isnt that unhealthy? Wont that cause stomach problems if one eats raw a lot like this?

So i am planning to cook tuna tomorrow a bit more, to at least not see it raw from outside.

I am sure my colleague will be making fun of me tomorrow with my chef hat but we will see
icon_smile.gif

So I am now leaving home to buy the stuff, and will post back in a bit with an update tonight.

I will keep you guys posted to how things are going and will take some pics.

elmo

Mince the garlic or run it through a press. Put it in a bowl with the other ingredients and add the pinch of salt. Mash the mixture with the back of a spoon very well. The salt will draw moisture and the mashing will turn the mix into a paste. It need not be a smooth paste.

Might be 30/lb at those temps. No need to cook a strip roast that low but you can.

What you got was med-rare, as it should be. No, it is not unhealthy. That's how tuna is usually cooked. And, no, no stomach problems or the diners of thousands of plates of sashimi on a daily basis wouldn't be ordering them. You can cook it a bit more - but tuna finishes dry when cooked through. You need to pull it prior to that and let residual carry it further. You could make a little fat-based sauce to dab on the slices prior to serving. That will counteract the dryness some. Tuna is another a la minute thing that I would not do for a large party but, oh well.

I hope all of this goes okay for you.

I wished I'd seen this post a bit earlier before the big BBQ as I just wanted to suggest a little something in regards to the nibbles when people start to arrive or you can make a whole party from them.
I'm referring to shish-kabobs, easy to make, easy to eat while standing around chatting to other people and they can be delicious if varied in different meats,vegetables or can be teri-yaki chicken sticks.Down here in Australia, when doing big BBQ or should I say grilling parties, shish-kabobs go down very well..actually, very high in demand at times.

And Elmo...I really feel your pain,,,just make sure you buy a big roll of Gaffa tape so if that woman comes around commanding people to put their food back on the grill....just tape her across the mouth piece and you will have peace brother
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

Davo

I think it may be time for a little collective prayer / wish for good luck for our friend, Elmo.

It sounds like he's allowed himself to be put at the mercy of so many different forces, and doing something new, with an outcome that is likely to be either "feast or famine".

Let's all hope that the weather and BBQ/Grill gods smile upon him today!

Kevin, you've really gone "Above and beyond the call of duty" on this one. Too bad it seems that most of your suggestions have been voted down by his colleagues.

I'm worried about him, but trying to be optimistic about the results.

Instead of a chafer u could just use a cheapy propane grill. Put a large aluminum pan of water on top of the grill. With a metal grate on that. Food can be kept in another aluminum pan on top of the grate or on the grate itself. And u get that sorta hot right off the grill effect. Use one burner on lowest setting for cheapo grill.

Yes, and I would strongly suggest that for the burgers. Cook to 150 then hold in a makeshift chafer, covered.

Allow ample time for the loin. When done (130 max) , wrap in foil well and hold in a dry cooler packed with towels.

The big deal is to get things done ahead - not too far ahead that you're holding a long time - far enough so that you are not cooking (except for the tuna) when people arrive. That's the time for serving the burgers and slicing the beef. Then cook the tuna.

[I hear you Ron. I'm rootin' for him.]

You are a better man then me Elmo. If they shot down my request for the Chafers and knives I would just throw the cooked and unsliced meat directly on a table and say "have at it people" . “ Eat it before it gets cold”.
icon_biggrin.gif

I don’t know your work situation though so I am not suggesting you do the same. Good luck buddy.

You guys made me laugh
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Ron for the prayers idea, I need it
icon_smile.gif

So today was long day, picked up all the food and equipment except for corn, which someone from work will pick up tomorrow.

I brought my WSM to work this morning so i wont have to worry about that tomorrow morning.

I will be bringing with me my Weber Q tomorrow because the gas grill we have at work is small and they dont want to upgrade to a bigger one.

I was at Loblaws today to get the 4 racks of lamb and because i was stressed out for the BBQ, i did not see them right under my nose and kept going around in circles looking for them, but ended up finding them after 5 mins lol

I got my chef jacket & hat today, yupee. The original chef hat was so weird looking & funny on me though so i ended up with a smaller flat one. I did not want people making fun of me while complaining at the same time tomorrow. The jacket is pretty nice though.

I trimmed some fat off the roast and let it to air dry and age a bit until tomorrow in fridge. I took out a lot of fat and left a bit on it. Not sure if i was supposed to leave more on there.

KK, when i take it out at 130 and wrap it in foil and put it in dry cooler, how long do i leave it there for before removing and carving. Is 30 mins enough? And do i put towels in bottom of cooler and all around and what is the point of towels? How much am i expecting for temp to go up by in cooler by the way. I just hope that it will not be super red and a bit bloody inside because i think it might scare some people from eating it.

I had to use our old dollar stor knife to trim the roast today and it took forever and ended up having a small cut on my finger. This is thanks to my colleague who refused the $32 budget for decent knife set and who still did not get me his knife from home!! He told me today they are not even that great so i am hoping he does not bring me another dollar store knife tomorrow.

I will go now and make a list of stuff i need to bring with me and will try to make it to work as early as possible to start with the cold entrees preparation like smoked salmon and cheese.

I already started taking some pics and will take lots more tomorrow and will post them once all is done.

So dont forget me in your prayers tonight
icon_smile.gif

elmo

Thanks guys.

So it is 5:15 am and i am getting ready to head to work to get started.

Just gonna make sure i wont forget anything.Making sure i wont forget the tape for that annoying lady at work
icon_smile.gif

Looking forward to see how that nice piece of strip loin roast going to come out.

elmo

Back