Help with a Ready to Eat Ham.

Jeff_B

TVWBB Pro
I need a little help, I have a 12 lb. “Ready-to-Eat” Ham that I will be cooking tomorrow.
My plan is to cook it at 250* to an internal temp of 135* with a few chunks of apple. Just not sure on the time frame, was thinking it would be at 30 minutes per pound. Does this sound right?

It has been awhile since I did a Ready to Eat Ham(normally do Ready to Cook) and I can’t remember the time it took.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks

i do a ready to eat spiral ham every year and they are usually in the 10 pound range. it usually takes around 3-4 hours if i recall. i only take the spiral hams to about 125 internal though as i don't want the outer edges of the slices to dry out.

And I go to 120. The ham is cooked and need not go higher. (125 probably works, as Tony notes.) More and you risk drying.

How long depends not only on size, but how cold the ham is when it goes in. If cold from the fridge you might be looking at 30 min/lb, but I'm thinking more like 4.5-5 hours @ 250.

I did a ham last night to a recipe that consistently produces the best ham i have eaten. It is from the Julia Child book "The Way To Cook" It is called Whole Braised Ham in Wine and Aromatic Vegetables on page 230 of that book. I do not have time to write the recipe out this evening. If you are interested, email me and I will scan and send you the recipe tomorrow morning.
I have the leftover ham in the oven for dinner tonight.

I discovered the best way ever to do spiral sliced hams, with the help of Cooks Illustrated. We just did five turkeys and five Cooks Spiral Sliced Honey Shank-end Half Hams. Before cooking, the five hams (still in their plastic wrappers) soaked in hot tap water for 45 minutes. Drained, and replaced with fresh hot tap water for another 45 minutes. This warmed the ham to about 80 degrees before it ever went into the cooker. We then open each ham and placed it into an over roasting bag, sealed, placed each half-ham in a foil half pan, and placed into a 250 cooker for about 1.5 hours, which got us to about 110 interior.

We then slit the roasting bags, painted the exterior with our honey glaze, ramped up the heat for about 15 minutes, then painted again. Absolutely the moistest spiral-sliced ham we ever tasted. The hot water soak beforehand takes 18-19 minutes per lb off the required cooking time (per CI).

Thanks for the help.

I plan on taking the ham out of the frig a couple hours ahead of time and cook it to an internal temp of 120.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Kevin[/quote]
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but I'm thinking more like 4.5-5 hours @ 250.

Kevin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on, I have done 5 12-15 lb hams in the last couple months and at 250-275 they are done in 4-6 hrs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
I discovered the best way ever to do spiral sliced hams, with the help of Cooks Illustrated. We just did five turkeys and five Cooks Spiral Sliced Honey Shank-end Half Hams. Before cooking, the five hams (still in their plastic wrappers) soaked in hot tap water for 45 minutes. Drained, and replaced with fresh hot tap water for another 45 minutes. This warmed the ham to about 80 degrees before it ever went into the cooker. We then open each ham and placed it into an over roasting bag, sealed, placed each half-ham in a foil half pan, and placed into a 250 cooker for about 1.5 hours, which got us to about 110 interior.

We then slit the roasting bags, painted the exterior with our honey glaze, ramped up the heat for about 15 minutes, then painted again. Absolutely the moistest spiral-sliced ham we ever tasted. The hot water soak beforehand takes 18-19 minutes per lb off the required cooking time (per CI). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tips Keri - I just picked one up, I'm with u but I'm gonna take it out of the bag so it'll absorb a little more smoke, at least that's my plan at the moment
icon_wink.gif

Back