help!!! please new WSM 22.5

Tanner H.

TVWBB Member
hi guys,
well I want to start out by saying this is an awesome site. In fact it helped me make my decision to get a new WSM 22.5. I just got done with a test run with some hickory and bacon on the grill.. No problem maintaining temps. Problem is I wanted to tke it slow but the wife is on me to get cooking. So...... I have a few questions if you all dont mind. I need to cook a boston but and a rack of ribs tomorrow.
I have cooked on an el cheapo before, but not anything like this. Obviously I need to start the but first but I have no clue when I should start it and when to put the ribs on. So here goes.
I am planning on a 7:00 dinner.
  • what time should I start the but?
    • when should i put the ribs on?
      • my digital thermometer and the WSM thermometer are about 40 degrees off , have you guys experienced this before as well?

Thank you guys for any help you can give me. I appologize for all the questions but you know how it is when the wife is on you... Thanks again..
        By the way I am not having any problems with constant temps the WSM is reading 210 and the digital through the top vent is reading 250.

Thanks again

Hey Tanner,

Welcome to the site. Just a few questions

What size is the butt?
Spares or BBs and are you going to foil?
It has been noticed that the WSM therm can be off by that much. Check both in boiling water and they should read 212.

How much does the butt weigh and what kind of ribs? Figure 1.5-2 hrs per lb on the butt, baby back ribs about 5hrs and spare ribs at least 6hrs,rib times are approximate depending on your cooking temp and weight of the ribs same as the butt, higher temps shorter cooking time. I allow at least 10hrs for an 8lb butt minimal at cooking temps around 250-260. I haven't done ribs and butts together but you are correct in starting the butt earlier.

If it where me, assuming most butts are around 8lbs, I would start at midnight and plan that it will be done around 11-12. Hold the butt wrapped until dinner, and start the ribs around 1-1:30.

I also hate staying up to midnight to start, so I would move my dinner earlier and the cook as well

Or you could get up and start at 3am
icon_smile.gif

Yea a lot will depend on what everyone else has said. Time wise I always say 90 minutes/lb on a butt from 250* You can use that same temp for ribs. I like the 3-2-1 for spares and 2-1-30 minutes for baby backs.

So on 9# butt set aside 13 hrs plus an hr to let it rest.

First of all I want to thank you for all of the responses. The butt is 7.5 lbs and they are baby backs @ 3.75 lbs. I plan to wrap. Butt is getting ready to go on should be on at 10:30 Not real worried about that for dinner. Its going to be lunches all week.
icon_smile.gif

Back