Help Please - door handle broke

Dex from NJ

TVWBB Fan
Greetings, just when I was about to start cooking (charcoal just began to catch), my door handle fell off.

I can't get the screw to stay in place so the latch stays on. Luckily the pieces got caught in the top grate and didn't fall in the charcoal...

the 22.5 is brand new. I took the handle off to use on the cajun bandit door and ever since I did that, it won't go back together.

Weber will replace it, but my problem is I have food prepped for two cooks.... I assume you can't smoke without the door? i tried to simply put the door in place, it kind of stays but there is a gap..

Any advice? I wish duct tape wouldn't melt, lol...

I guess my other problem is, if I try to use the handle from the new door, how do I avoid this same issue. I don't want my cajun bandit door to goto waste. I also don't want to suffer the same fate. Weber only sells the door with handle.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Dex,

If you have some baling wire, or something equiv., it could be wrapped around the circumference.

A while back one of the members posted their fix, which was very elegant.

Last edited:
Dex, in my opinion the best temp. fix is to use a hex head bolt (~3/4 long - 1/4 #20 size maybe), fender washer, and nut to get your cook out of the way. Make sure to take the door (with a marking on its back with you to Home Depot or Lowes to make sure the fender washer is wide/ large enough to hold the inside lip of the WSM mid section for it not to open up. it will be a good temp. fix trust me.Good luck.

Thanks guys!

As i got a little impatient, i found a pole and two book shelf brackets in my garage. I propped those up against the door, which seems to be working for now.

Tomorrow, i will try the heax head fix. And i am buying some bailing wire, because now that i think about it, it could come in handy in the future for other things or a hurricane, lol..It actually would have worked good today if I had some.

Back