Help Me Pick A Meat

MichaelLC

TVWBB Pro
Hello, just getting started here with a smoker, been grilling 'casually' for many years.

What's a good first big hunk of meat to smoke as a first timer? 18" WSM is it matters.

Not sure if I want to do the whole shredding & saucing thing too, so if there's a cut or steak that works well just off the smoker, even better. Maybe just some ribs? Thanks!

I don’t sauce when I do a butt, just simply pull, pan and serve.
Butts are really forgiving and relatively cheap, rub, smoke, shred, eat. Sauce on the side.
Really, there is a ton of information here, just look around.
if you want ribs, do ribs, I think that a butt is the easiest way to get the concept of how to do things low and slow. Start with whatever you want to eat, don’t overthink it,

Hello, just getting started here with a smoker, been grilling 'casually' for many years.

What's a good first big hunk of meat to smoke as a first timer? 18" WSM is it matters.

Not sure if I want to do the whole shredding & saucing thing too, so if there's a cut or steak that works well just off the smoker, even better. Maybe just some ribs? Thanks!
How many times have you smoked some meat/chicken on your WSM? I bought my WSM 18" new in the year 2008 and started smoking only with some not-so- pricey whole or in chicken pieces in order to get a hang-of-controlling-the-temperature on my WSM. If price is not an issue I will recommend a beef tenderloin.

Attachments

• djMOkZRnQiKdruSTIDHAng.jpg
    djMOkZRnQiKdruSTIDHAng.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I did a butt, a brisket and some ribs for my first smokes. All came out awesome. I didn’t find temperature control hard at all. Smokes a 7 pound chicken last weekend using the hot and fast method I read about here. That came out amazing too.
I haven’t used any water in the bowl, just foil wrapped it. Once I hit 225 I closed the two bottom vents and regulate with the one remaining vent. Brisket smoked for 12 hours or so at 250. I think the butt was 8 or 9 hours at around the same temp.

Try some bone in pork chops a few times to get the hang of things, then grow from there.......

Butt is a great choice if you're aim is to try a longer cook time. As bob said, look for a smaller one if you don't have as much time.

I see MichealC is from the Windy City, probably want to get some practice on longer cooks before the weather gets cold.

Butt is a great choice if you're aim is to try a longer cook time. As bob said, look for a smaller one if you don't have as much time.

I see MichealC is from the Windy City, probably want to get some practice on longer cooks before the weather gets cold.
Too late for that..

Butt sounds pretty good.

Country Style ribs and/or pork steaks are cut from the butt, and you can eat with a fork.
Those are the two I first used on my WSM.

Thanks all! See my adventure in separate post - hope that's OK.

Will definitely keep this one saved to try new meat/smokes.

Back