Help me identify weber summit grill

PaulK

TVWBB Member
Hi there,

I am looking a used weber summit, what I think is an older s-620. I'm a little confused as the grates appear to be cast iron, but i thought summits were all stainless?? Any guess as to the age or year? Are the burners and flavorizers stainless or regular steel?

Its an NG version. Anything to watch out for on these? I've only owned LP webers in the past.

Thanks!

00808_c6PrMIVTy65_1200x900_zps0jrk8rj1.jpg

Someone cut down some Genesis CI grates and threw them in there. It's supposed to have SS grates. Was it the original owner? If so why are they selling it? I'll lay odds either thie person bought it used or is going to sell the SS grates separately. Frankly unless it's being dumped really cheap I'd steer clear of it.

Can you find out of the grill has the sticker on it that has the model and serial numbers ? It does look like a S-620, so 2007 or newer. hard to pin down a precise year. I'm not as leery of the Summits as LM is. Check it out thoroughly for rust, paying special attention to the lower area of the cart as well as the front of the firebox where the burners stick through.

Don't know that I'd pay $350 for it though, especially considering the grates. Replacement grates would cost several hundred dollars from Weber. RCPlanebuyer sells SS rod grates that would fit, 2 for $120+ shipping, but you would need 3.

Can you find out of the grill has the sticker on it that has the model and serial numbers ? It does look like a S-620, so 2007 or newer. hard to pin down a precise year. I'm not as leery of the Summits as LM is. Check it out thoroughly for rust, paying special attention to the lower area of the cart as well as the front of the firebox where the burners stick through.

Don't know that I'd pay $350 for it though, especially considering the grates. Replacement grates would cost several hundred dollars from Weber. RCPlanebuyer sells SS rod grates that would fit, 2 for $120+ shipping, but you would need 3.

Thanks Dave. Will try to get the model #, but is the cart the same mild steel as on the genesis that is prone to rusting? I have a rusty one of those already and know how they can get -- i had kind of assumed it was all stainless given how expensive these are new. if they use the same crappy grey-painted steel it would be a shame.

Thanks Dave. Will try to get the model #, but is the cart the same mild steel as on the genesis that is prone to rusting? I have a rusty one of those already and know how they can get -- i had kind of assumed it was all stainless given how expensive these are new. if they use the same crappy grey-painted steel it would be a shame.

oh, the entire frame/cart definitely isn't stainless. Can't say that it's the exact same steel/coating as on a Genny or if it's as prone to rusting . If I were to buy one like that, I'd definitely treat it as best I could.

Even if you can't find or don't have the model/serial number sticker, you can research grills like this by downloading from our collection of Weber Grill Catalogs.

Based on my review of S-620 catalog photos, paying special attention to the shape of the storage door handles and the configuration of the vent holes in front of the lid, I would say this is a 2009 or 2010 model S-620. Serial number should begin with "DE" or "AD".

Paul, yes the only parts of this grill that are SS (other than flavor bars, burners, "grates?") are the make it pretty parts. None of the "structure" of this grill are stainless. So yes they are quite prone to rust FWIW. " I'm not as leery of the Summits as LM is" not sure where this comes from. I simply point out what I feel are disappointments in how Weber has slighted loyal customers by making things cheaper yet charging much more for the product. So "leery" is not what I would call it. Disappointment is more like it IMO.

Paul, yes the only parts of this grill that are SS (other than flavor bars, burners, "grates?") are the make it pretty parts. None of the "structure" of this grill are stainless. So yes they are quite prone to rust FWIW. " I'm not as leery of the Summits as LM is" not sure where this comes from. I simply point out what I feel are disappointments in how Weber has slighted loyal customers by making things cheaper yet charging much more for the product. So "leery" is not what I would call it. Disappointment is more like it IMO.

LM, from where I sit, it's a bit of both.

"Leery" - cautious or wary due to realistic suspicions.

We both agree that Summit's have shortcomings. We agree that they are prone to rust/corrosion. We agree it' defies comprehension that Weber's flagship grill has stamped metal forming part of the cookbox while their mid range grill, the Genny, has a cast aluminum cookbox.

Where we differ on this really is that taking all the above into account, it at least seems that you are more likely to advise others to stay away from a Summit "unless it's being dumped really cheap", whereas I'd say that a Summit might be worth putting some money into (depending on it's current condition.)

Back