Help me find some hot prepared horseradish, please?

Rick P

TVWBB Pro
I cannot seem to find hot horseradish anymore, except at Bull Roasts, where they have large tubs of it.

I've pretty much tried them all...anything th.at's marked "hot" or "extra hot"... Tulkoff, Gold's, Inglehoffer, Bookbinder's, Kelchner's, Bubbie's, Reese, Dietz & Watson, etc.

I even tried one from Amazon called "Atomic Horseradish" but they're not that hot. I don't need anything crazy, like Nasal Napalm which is more of a food additive. I just want some good old-fashioned sinus-clearing radish.

Any recommendations?

You have any farmer markets around?
My neighbor used to make his own and sell it at the farmers market every weekend.
Hot and fresh. Or check out any eastern Europe deli/store.

This is what home ground horseradish looks like. It’s nuclear when you pop the lid off the food processor.

1724351104594.jpeg

recipe: fresh and firm horseradish root, peeled and rinsed of dirt (they grow in the ground).

cut into cubes and place cubes in food processor with metal blade.
whirl blade until the horseradish looks like fine dust particles.
add around 1/4 cup of water and whirl once more until no further progress is being made in breaking down the horseradish.
remove to a storage container and add 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar, and a pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of granulated sugar.

the key to getting super hot root is the first chopping. the more and longer you chop it in the processor, the more the root cell walls break down and release the heat of the radish.

once you add the water, the heat will stop spreading and advancing.

the WDV is a preservative to retard bacterial growth. the salt and sugar just balance out the flavors.

Last edited:
For prepared,I get Yoders but, I think that’s a fairly small distribution network.
I had a friend that used to grind his own, with a hand grinder on the picnic table, he had the neighbors in tears when he did his!

This is what home ground horseradish looks like. It’s nuclear when you pop the lid off the food processor.

View attachment 98565

recipe: fresh and firm horseradish root, peeled and rinsed of dirt (they grow in the ground).

cut into cubes and place cubes in food processor with metal blade.
whirl blade until the horseradish looks like fine dust particles.
add around 1/4 cup of water and whirl once more until no further progress is being made in breaking down the horseradish.
remove to a storage container and add 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar, and a pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of granulated sugar.

the key to getting super hot root is the first chopping. the more and longer you chop it in the processor, the more the root cell walls break down and release the heat of the radish.

once you add the water, the heat will stop spreading and advancing.

the WDV is a preservative to retard bacterial growth. the salt and sugar just balance out the flavors.
Nice!!!!

I rank the hot right up there with the Chinese mustard, I use with caution, prefer the creamy and wife likes it coarse and hot, and she wonders why her nose runs while eating it :ROFLMAO:

Back