HELP! Brinkman Water Pan

KevinM

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling like a bonehead right now. My original WSM waterpan was destroyed a few weeks back and I ordered the Brinkman as a replacement. Followed a link from this site and ordered. I'm smoking 4 pork butts today, fired up the smoker and went to add the pan. Darn thing doesn't fit...it's too small!

So...I feel really stupid that I didn't test it before I started. The question is, what can I do now? I have the butts on the smoker WITHOUT a water pan. Anything I can do to try and make this work out or have I just destroyed 40 bucks in meat?

Thanks!
Kevin

WOW - that's a good one.

Try putting a double layer of foil under the bottom grate and maybe poke several small holes in it as well for drainage.

Hope someone else offers something better but good luck either way!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinM:
Hi everyone,

I'm feeling like a bonehead right now. My original WSM waterpan was destroyed a few weeks back and I ordered the Brinkman as a replacement. Followed a link from this site and ordered. I'm smoking 4 pork butts today, fired up the smoker and went to add the pan. Darn thing doesn't fit...it's too small!

So...I feel really stupid that I didn't test it before I started. The question is, what can I do now? I have the butts on the smoker WITHOUT a water pan. Anything I can do to try and make this work out or have I just destroyed 40 bucks in meat?

Thanks!
Kevin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could actually cook without the water pan, but I wouldn't with the butts on the bottom grate. Go to WalMart and see if you can find a pizza pan that will fit. If you can find one wrap it in several layers of HD aluminum foil.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but to replace the water pan you should order the Brinkmann charcoal pan. This could be the reason it was to small. Chuck.

Close but no cigar. Went to Lowes first (its closer) and they only had 12 or 16". So went on to HD and they only had 14". Snagged it, wrapped it, took the meat and grates off......too small. So I guess I'm just going to run the smoke without anything. I'll report back tomorrow or so how it went.

Thanks for the help guys.

Probably too late now but what about finding a heavy duty disposable aluminum pan and wiring it to the bottom grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken McCrary:
Probably too late now but what about finding a heavy duty disposable aluminum pan and wiring it to the bottom grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think that could be dangerous. If the thing let go or tore closer to the end of the cook and a lot of grease hit the coals all at once it could be a grease inferno. I'd go a for a pan like Larry said, but not a foil pan.

Back