Hello from Waltham, MA! (and question re: which Weber to keep...)

Brandon Vogel

Hello there from sunny Waltham, MA. If you don't know where we are, Waltham is a city just outside of Boston. Been reading this site for a while and figured it's time to post to the intro page and pose a question for anyone wanting to help me make a choice.

I currently have (to my wife's dismay...) three Weber LP propane grills:

- First one is a black Genesis that's more recent. Works fine and all the parts work. I have a grill light on this one and it was my main grill throughout the past year, including during the recent snowy winter.

- Second one is a Redhead that has the 13 flavorizer bar configuration. I've attaches pics of the serial number. I believe it's a 900 series. This one is in good shape and I've replaced some parts. It's missing the bottom racks, and the wood needs restoration, and the fold-up left side shelf is missing. I used this a bit last summer and it cooks up pretty evenly.

- Thirdly, I have a nice Genesis Silver in green with the two side tables. This needs a little bit more work (inside is grimy, needs replacement flavorizer bars, and has a little rust on the frame that will need to be worked out).

In addition, I have a 18" Weber charcoal as well as a Performer 22" (and the parts for a 2nd Performer sitting in my garage). I love the Performer but it uses more charcoal than I need to just cook dinner for my wife and I, and I end up using the 18" more often recently.

ANYWAY, these are my grills. Now, I think it's time to limit myself to one propane grill. There are advantages to all three, but I can't decide what's going to be the best choice. The Redhead is, of course, the prettiest but it needs a bit of work. The newer Genesis (black one) has the light, which they don't make for the Redhead. The green one is nice, and has the extra side table, but needs the most work to make back to new-ish.

Any opinions on which one to keep and spend the time maintaining / fixing, and which two get sent on their way to the Craigslist?

Thanks, and thanks for having such an awesome community!

mYDSqagm.jpg
mYDSqagm.jpg
vUcfoHPm.jpg
UnSRwzTm.jpg

LOP1LP7m.jpg
zvwmPrum.jpg
clLEO6Om.jpg

There is no real answer for this one. Each grill has it's merits, all are good cookers. Comes down to whether you want to put any work in on the Red, would you actually use the tables on the green, or do you just want a grill that's ready to go with no real work needed, i.e. the black.

personally I'd cook on the black one for the time being while doing a rehab/restore on the red one and sell the green one to fund the rehab. then maybe sell the black one after the red one is done.

Welcome to the forum. As for me, for gas, I love my 96 Redhead Genesis 1000. My wife uses it now and we really enjoy it. Of course, nothing can beat my Performer or WSM. Good Luck.

Welcome Brandon! Send them ALL to Charlotte and I'll get back to you after 3 or 4 weeks to let you know which one to keep! Just kidding! That's a tough question. It's almost like asking which kid or dog is your favorite !

Back