Hello from Oklahoma

ScottInOK

Hello everyone and thanks to those who have already given me lots of information on this site. It's my first time to use a smoker so I'm taking Chris' word today and not seasoning my new WSM. Just couldn't wait to try it. Since it is new, I thought the Brisket - High Heat recipe would be a good way to start. After some early erratic temps, I think I've got it figured out.

I still remember the best food I ever ate - smoked brisket 5 yrs ago at a friend's house. Not sure why it took me this long to try it myself but here I go.

-Scott

Welcome from the east coast! Good luck with that brisket.....it's the holy grail of BBQ! :wsm:

Welcome to the forum. HH brisket for your first smoke huh. Go BIG or Go Home, that's what I say. Good luck.

Update - after turning and foiling the brisket halfway through, my Maverick ET-732 probe went haywire, showing anywhere from 65 - 125 degrees hotter than the lid temperature. Being a newb, I wasn't sure at first which was correct and let the lid temp come down too far. So I added some air, some time, and eventually more coals to get where I needed to be. And called it High-Low Heat Brisket. Turned out great - much better than I expected. Great smoker, great flavor, great recipe...even though I didn't complete it accurately. Thanks for everyone's interest. Round 2 - chicken.

Last edited:

Back