Hello from Manning Iowa

Gary Williams

After spending most of last summer learning how to smoke on my Weber Kettle, silver, I decided it was time to get a WSM 18.5 and what a smart decision that was. Last weekend I did my first big smoke. I bought 2 8.5 lb bone in Boston butts and a 8lb boneless loin. For the butts I used Chris Lilly's championship injection and his rub and for the loin I used a orange juice marinade I got off of this site. The first half of the smoke went without a hitch. Got the temp up to where I wanted and it just hung there perfectly all morning, then the wind came up and blew all afternoon. I had no material around to build any kind of a wind block so I just added more charcoal and kept a closer eye on the temp. The loin only took 2 hrs. and the butts took 12 hrs and then I foiled them for an hr. and then pulled them and they just fell apart. I have a maverick thermometer and just bought a thermoPop. Thank you everyone for all the great advice that has been posted on this site, without you I could not have done this. Gary

Welcome Gary. After smoking on the silver isn't the WSM so much easier. I fought my Performer for a few years before I made the jump into the deep end. It's so much better, and a lot less fussing.

Back