Hello from Manchester, UK

RichardWhitmill

TVWBB Member
Hello there I'm a new member from Manchester in the UK.
Been doing meat curing stuff for many years now but only recently properly got into BBQ. Got myself a Weber compact kettle and that's been great to do a few things and master some fire management basics. But been wanting an upgrade for a bit.
Anyway this week I picked up a Weber smokey mountain 18 inch off eBay for a bargain £60 (about $75). Pretty pleased with that as there aren't as many in circulation in the UK, especially secondhand.
Gave it a good scrub yesterday and from what I can tell it's had minimal use as there wasn't too much ash and grease buildup. It has been left out in the garden over winter so a bit worse for wear and some rust on the grates. Having consulted this site and forum posts on cleaning I kept it light touch with just a scourer and some elbow grease. I've attempted to save the grates with some nasty oven cleaner. Bottom one pretty rusty. Cooking grate may be salvageable but not too fussed as the grate from my compact kettle will fit for now and I can get a new one when I plan to do a bigger cook with both grills in use.
Some before and after pictures below. Only question I had if anyone can help us this - appears to be some rust in the lip of the lid. A very fiddly place to scrub! Any ideas what's best to do here?
Other than that I'm planning to do a burnout today and gradually upgrade it as I go (spent too much on BBQ recently!). Starting with some screws to replace the rusty ones (if I can find an equivalent), then grates and of course a better door (however the Cajun bandit doors are more expensive than what I paid for the WSM itself!). Oh and there was something else I was gonna do. What was that? Oh yeah smoke some ribs!
Glad to be part of this forum, already been super useful.

Attachments

• PXL_20230803_142044945.jpg
    PXL_20230803_142044945.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230803_173340854.jpg
    PXL_20230803_173340854.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230803_173235672.jpg
    PXL_20230803_173235672.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 12
Welcome Richard!
Wipe the lip down with a little vinegar/water and a scrubby, let dry then wipe with oil.
Water collects there so either cover it or flip the mid-section upside down.

Pay no mind to the rust, that's just from having water in the pan. But if bothers you, a soft wire wheel on a drill will clean that up nicely.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Did my first cook yesterday and very pleased with the results! Such a brilliant smoker. I know you guys already know this but absolutely rock steady. I think I'm in love (don't tell my wife).
Cooked some ribs and went down an absolute storm.

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_190907352.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230805_190907352.MP.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 4

Back