Hello from Manchester CT

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
Hey,
Just joined from just outside Hartford, CT. I have been smoking using the Weber 22.5 in Kettle with the hinged grate, decided to upgrade to a real smoker and just got the WSM 18.5 in. Made a rookie mistake and over-smoked some baby-back ribs (used several smaller wood pieces rather than fewer wood chunks), so had to redeem myself before the weekend was over. I made a slightly modified version of this smoked salmon recipe with a chunk of apple and pecan wood:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/SmokeSalmon.htm

Turned out great!

Still loving the Kettle grill, and of course, the Smokey Joe for quick and portable grillin....

-Jeff

Welcome aboard Jeff! You are going to really enjoy your WSM. Make sure you take a few shots of your
cooks and post them in the photo gallery. We love photos on this forum! ;)

Welcome aboard. Looks like a lot of noobie's from your corner of the world. How hard is it to cook outdoors in the winter. It must take great fortitude?

Hey,
Haven't done much in the winter...I move indoors and work with a slow cooker and some cast iron cookware, but I noticed they do make special "blankets" to wrap around the smokers to help them preserve the heat, so I'll have to check them out. I know some folks who use the big green egg or an equivalent ceramic smoker.

Lots of good oak, maple and apple wood up here to work with...
-Jeff

Jeff I don't know if there are any good butchers up your way. So let me tell you of a gem of a meat market. Salem Prime Cuts on Rt.85 just over Rt.82. They smoke their own meats and cheese, have a wonderful selection of quality meat, some rubs, and Wicked Good lump. I make special trips out just get meat for my BBQ. Plus if you're hungry you can order one of their over stuffed grinders. Just don't get a large grinder you won't be able to finish it.

Back