Hello from Hertfordshire, UK

Simon J B

Hi all. Bought myself a WSM 22.5. Smokehouse food is slowly becoming popular in the UK and I'm jumping on the bandwagon! Restaurants selling pulled pork, brisket, and ribs are popping up all over the place (especially in London). There are even national competitions (Grillstock for example). It's still a very niche hobby but I'm fortunate that the largest Weber showroom in the UK is 20mins away.

I love the BBQ culture in the US and I hope to learn something from the experts. Who knows, perhaps even chuck in a few original ideas from this side of the pond. At the moment smoking remains just a hobby for me but I have grand ideas about generating some income from it (already I've had someone ask me to cater for a party having tasted some pulled pork and brisket I smoked).

Simon

Welcome to the group Simon. Just keep in mind that a fun hobby can lose it's appeal when it becomes a job. There are also all kinds of liability issues and health regs to consider when cooking for money.

Very good point, Bob. I'd like to think I can tackle all the red tape but I can well imagine cooking day in day out could become quite tiresome.

welcome Simon - from another UK member.
straight in with a 22.5 is a serious commitment (bearing in mind our UK prices)

it will drag you in more and more ...I'm now competing at Grillstock this year - my first ever comp...

watch this space!!!

Hi Darren.
Hi Chris - the 22.5 was only £60 extra (on offer) so I thought why not. Good luck at Grillstock! I'll be attending in Manchester. I assume you'll be in Bristol?

Hi Darren.
Hi Chris - the 22.5 was only £60 extra (on offer) so I thought why not. Good luck at Grillstock! I'll be attending in Manchester. I assume you'll be in Bristol?

yes just Bristol ... for now :)

I already had a Performer and a Jumbo Joe - so settled for the baby WSM ... for now :)

Welcome to the forum Simon. I really don't believe you are luky because the Weber shop is only 20' away! It could a great problem if I were you.
Do you regularly smoke brisket ? Is it easy to find them?

Thanks for all the friendly welcomes, guys.

@Enrico - you're quite right, could be a problem for my bank balance! To date I've smoked brisket, pork ribs, and pork shoulder. Brisket is in all the supermarkets but if you want the decent stuff (and a cut bigger than 2kg) you've got to go to the butchers. A little more difficult to find is a good source of beef ribs - something I'm keen to get on the Weber.

Back