Hello from Fort Myers, FL! Long time owner and user and helped my dad cook on his Weber kettles in the 50s and 60s. Question about WSM 18 vs. 22?

Ron Thomson

Hello from Fort Myers, FL! Long time owner and user and helped my dad cook on his Weber kettles in the 50s and 60s. Question about WSM 18 vs. 22? I owned and loved an 18" WSM for about 10 years. Had to sell it due to a move. Look forward to getting another WSM again, but am teetering between the WSM 18 and 22. I just cook for my wife and I. What are your thoughts about choosing one of the two sizes?

Hi fellow Floridian,

WELCOME!!!!!!

You came to the right place. The people here are very helpful. I don't know a thing about grills, I just supply the recipes for what to cook
on them. lol

I clicked on Ft. Myers on your avatar. Lots of good pictures.

I cook for 6 adults and 2 kids on my 18” all the time. I’ve never felt the need for anything bigger. In fact, 90% of the time I’ve got extra room.

Hi Ron, welcome from PA! It’s just the two of us here as well, the 18” is plenty big. Actually, the 14” would be big enough but it’s nice to have the extra space when we do have people over. The 22” is huge and requires a lot more charcoal.

Welcome Ron,

I'll toss another option out for your consideration, the Summit kamado.

I've got two 22s. I use 1 for the meat and the second for appetizers and sides. While I do have rib racks I'd rather not use them and the 2nd smoker allows just that. I usually cook 6 racks and I can lay them flat this way. My preference. If I'm not doing any appetizers I'll cook the ribs on the top rack of both and the Mac n cheese and beans on the bottom. Even if its just my wife and I I'll smoke 3 racks minimum. If I'm going through the work I make extra. This also allows me to load one up if I do use racks and can cook 12 racks of ribs. If doing long cooks it also allows me to do sides the next day to have it all ready the same day vs cooking sides the day before. You can always scale down a cook in a larger smoker but you can't cook more in a smaller one. If you plan on cooking for more people go bigger you won't be sorry.
Edit
I wanted to add when I do Pork shoulders I do 6 to 8 at a time. Again, if I'm going through the work I cook extra. We freeze it and eat it through the winter months in Iowa.

Last edited:
I've got two 22s. I use 1 for the meat and the second for appetizers and sides. While I do have rib racks I'd rather not use them and the 2nd smoker allows just that. I usually cook 6 racks and I can lay them flat this way. My preference. If I'm not doing any appetizers I'll cook the ribs on the top rack of both and the Mac n cheese and beans on the bottom. Even if its just my wife and I I'll smoke 3 racks minimum. If I'm going through the work I make extra. This also allows me to load one up if I do use racks and can cook 12 racks of ribs. If doing long cooks it also allows me to do sides the next day to have it all ready the same day vs cooking sides the day before. You can always scale down a cook in a larger smoker but you can't cook more in a smaller one. If you plan on cooking for more people go bigger you won't be sorry.
Edit
I wanted to add when I do Pork shoulders I do 6 to 8 at a time. Again, if I'm going through the work I cook extra. We freeze it and eat it through the winter months in Iowa.

Would love to see pictures of your next cook! I always try to cook extra, so we have leftovers during the week.

IMO, the choice comes down to ribs.

If you like to cook full slabs laid out flat, go with the 22. As Mike points out above, the 22 will fit 3 slabs flat on each of the two racks.

The 18 inch circle is a bit too tight on the horizontal space to do that. Sure you can cook half slabs, use rib racks, roll the racks, bend the racks, cook smaller BBs instead of St. Louis, etc. etc. etc. But the 18 is just too small to do full flat slabs easily. You really can only fit one full St. Louis slab down the middle of each cooking grate, then add two half slabs on the sides.

For my 18, my rib solution was to get a hanging kit from Hunsaker and cook hanging half slabs. Which keeps the lower end of the ribs from being too close to the fire. Works very well and fits a lot.

For everything else, the 18 is going to be way more than adequate. And the 14 probably would be too.

Last edited:
Hello from Fort Myers, FL! Long time owner and user and helped my dad cook on his Weber kettles in the 50s and 60s. Question about WSM 18 vs. 22? I owned and loved an 18" WSM for about 10 years. Had to sell it due to a move. Look forward to getting another WSM again, but am teetering between the WSM 18 and 22. I just cook for my wife and I. What are your thoughts about choosing one of the two sizes?
If it's just you and the Mrs, 18" is all you'll ever need. I own the 22" and it's a real beast. If you're not cooking at least 2 butts or three racks of ribs iit seems like you're wasting charcoal and that you have a LOT of extra space. The lid on the 22" is also kinda heavy. The 18" seals up a little tighter out of the box as well.

Back