Hello from Calif/model 470000

Tim S-CA

This past weekend I retrieved a Weber from the back yard of my late ex Mother and Father in Law.
Seeing this unit with a tarp over it in its condition compeled me to put it in my truck and take it home to breathe some life back into it.
Its been a while but I do remember how proud my Father in Law was of this Red Weber BBQ. He would always find a reason for me to cook using my grill for our grilled meals together.
It was used with care and I am sure has not been used or cleaned since his passing 8 years ago.
This man afforded me oportunity to develop many skills with my hands, so I went to work cleaning it up and replacing the wood slats yesterday.
Even grilled some on it last night in his honor.
Can anyone provide the correct Model # and year of this unit,
Attached is a picture of the label under the control plate.
I will post a few pictures of it when I am finished with the restoration.

Thank you in Advance,

Attachments

• Geroges Weber.jpg
    Geroges Weber.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 21
Hey, post some “in process” pictures too! The working shots are interesting to many of us. Well,I like to see things in process.
And welcome to the place where you will be allowed to spend as much on your project as you can possibly imagine! It’s all in good fun as far as I’m concerned, I’ve only ruffled a few feathers since I started in this playground. The “Serious” restorers and rehabbers here can give help with hiccups that inevitably come up with a project.
I managed to have a small problem come up and after a quick email to a friend from here, I have the replacement parts on the way within a couple of days! You have found a great forum here and we are all happy when we see someone bring an old family friend back to its former glory!
Be safe, take your time and make it right!

Last edited:
Welcome Tim, looks like a Genesis 3 from the limited info I can gather from the sticker. It's at least a 1987 model, maybe a little newer. Weber didn't provide as detailed info on their grills then as they do now.

Welcome Tim,

I'll agree with @Steve Hoch that it looks like an early Genesis 3.

Please post some pics

Thanks everyone for your input.
After getting this unit home it was completely disassembled, cleaned throughly, reassembled, and I replaced the wood slats with cedar finishing the wood with stain seal. Ran out of time to re finish the lid handle. The only components I will be looking to replace is the starter for the side burner and possibly a new side burner assembly. It will also need a warming grate.
I do not plan on addressing any of the patina on the frame or body. The small battle scar on the lid gives it character.
She seems to operate as intended aside for a funky side burner flame.

Attachments

• IMG_3829.jpeg
    IMG_3829.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3830.jpeg
    IMG_3830.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3827.jpeg
    IMG_3827.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3828.jpeg
    IMG_3828.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3833.jpeg
    IMG_3833.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 28
Yep, it's definitely a Genesis 3. It looks to be in great shape for its age as well. I'm sure you will enjoy many years of cooking on it. What's going on with the side burner that you want to replace it?

Steve, the side burner ignitor does not work and the flame is a bit wonky. It goes out at lower settings.
The compartment was full of debris and insects. Probably has debris inside, not sure how to attempt cleaning.

The compartment was full of debris and insects. Probably has debris inside, not sure how to attempt cleaning.
Take it back off the grill and disassemble it as far as you can go. There probably is something inside the hose or the valve orifice that you might be able to get with compressed air if you're lucky. Don't give up on it without playing around with it first.

Actually once pulled apart they're quite easy to figure out. They don't have insect guards on the burners. Actually that generation Genesis did not have them at all anywhere.
Bottom line a good cleaning and that side burner will be turning out stir fry in no time

Back