Hello everyone

WMurph

Hello everyone
I am new to WSM but not really new to BBQ/smoking I currently have a weber genesis 3-burner with sear station/weber kettle/traeger pellet (the little one)/ and now a new WSM 22 1/2" that I recently purchased a from ace hardware (slightly damamged fell off the back of a truck), "really that's what the manager told me" I haven't used it yet but noticed one of the bottom vents is completely flat not contoured like the other 2-lower vents. As the vent is riveted on I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how I might make this vent more contoured to the lower part w/o drilling & bolting. I am really looking foward to getting this baby going and I'm open to any tips/suggestions, Memorial Day is only weeks away the unofficial start of summer and i want to be ready

Welcome to the forum Murphy,
...noticed one of the bottom vents is completely flat not contoured like the other 2-lower vents. As the vent is riveted on I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how I might make this vent more contoured to the lower part w/o drilling & bolting.
using a wide flat screwdriver and a hammer, try setting the head of the rivet directly on a metal surface.
You may need help of another human with this process.
Placing the wide screwdriver head across the center of the backend of the rivet, strike down on it using the hammer, careful not to break or chip the porcelain.
I've done this in the past with successful results.

Welcome to the forum Murphy,
using a wide flat screwdriver and a hammer, try setting the head of the rivet directly on a metal surface.
You may need help of another human with this process.
Placing the wide screwdriver head across the center of the backend of the rivet, strike down on it using the hammer, careful not to break or chip the porcelain.
I've done this in the past with successful results.

Thanks for the suggestion I am trying to avoid drilling the rivet out as this area will be heavily inundated with ashes and likely subjected to corrosion. I will let you know how it goes thanks

The rivets on my WSM were also (relatively) loose when I un-boxed it. The first mod I did was drilling out the rivets and replacing them with nuts and bolts.

Back