Hello all...question about hood liners!

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all....hood liners tend to make my flippin game tricky from time to time. First off I always prefer a nice razor bladed glossy enamel under hood.....it makes my for sale pics look like brand new and those grills always sell very fast. The grills with hood liners are always a process. They never look good in a for sale pic and take away from the overall work that I have done to get a grill restored and ready to go. The only chemical I use to resto a grill is Simple Green so no oven cleaner for me. For the most part I will scuff...scrape....sand....to get the under hood liner look as clean and uniform as I can and just let it ride. A friend of mine is using Dawn Power Wash and a orbital sander on slow speed with good results.....while there are others using the harsh stuff with good success but they never rinse thoroughly enough and the harsh stuff continues to eat away at the liner and oxidize the cook box. A couple of questions for the pro's
1. On stainless steel hoods it was always my belief that if they didnt have a liner that they would turn purple from the heat. I currently have a resto in the works that has a SS hood with no liner yet no discoloring....this has me confused. Maybe the previous owner removed the liner because I " assumed " that all SS grill hoods had liners.

2. Have we determined that under hood liners really improve heat retention better than without? I will come across a middle aged 310
black...copper...brown or other than SS with a liner that is a mess and just remove the liner, and polish up the enamel for a much cleaner look...and also easier to maintain.

Thanks!

Sorry that I’m not answering any of the questions, but I didn’t know the liner could be removed. What’s the process for removing it?
Is it held in place by the end caps?

Oh ya....you can remove the liners especially on the middle aged 300 series. I dont think I have removed one on a Gen II but I am sure its the same process. Just remove the handle......then remove the SS hood straps on the outside......remove the end cap or caps.....remove the liner and put back together. If its an older or middle aged 300 series it is shiny wonderful enamel under that liner. It will need a quick cleaning but thats what underneath

My mom's 2009 Gensis E320 ( side control ) does not have the liner. It's been cooking fine since 2009 without a liner.

I recall @Rich Dahl has a side control E3xx and wonder if that has a SS hood liner or not.

Every E3xx with front controls that I've seen has a liner, both enamel lid and SS lid.

Last edited:
The liner on a gas grill really does nothing overall. They're mostly there to add heft to the hood (in some minds "heft=quality". Now double wall construction is not a bad thing though. Both of my pellet grills are double walled all around. Why the difference? A gas grill is not nearly as limited in how much fuel it can burn. While pellet grills (as a breed), are limited by A, size of the burn pot B, speed of the auger (typically only one VERY slow speed) and the type of cooking they more normally are asked to do (low/slow or more like an outdoor oven). So, here yes quite beneficial especially in colder climes

The older Gold and Platinum grills with the liners are contact welded to the lid. They rot out on a lot of those grills so even when you do try to clean them up, they are in such bad shape, it makes it an impossibility for a rehab/flip grill. Many times those contact welds have already failed and you can just rip the liner out, but sometimes they won't easily release and you have to basically tear the liner out and clean up the stuck on spots as best you can.

Do I think they liners are useful: Yes, but only a small amount. I am sure a single wall SS lid is just as effective as its cousin the Silver B enameled lids which are natively single wall.

Thanks for the replies pro's. I have seen 300's even with front controls that dont have liners. I thought we covered it here one time that the Stainless steel hoods really need liners because they would discolor ( purple /brown ) without a liner just like the stainless steel flavor bars do. Thus I dont think I have ever seen any Weber with a SS hood not have a liner. I guess I could prove or dis-prove this theory with the sidewinder that I am working on now that does not have a liner........that said I have yet another sidewinder in my stock that is SS and it does have a liner.
Do you guys have any really good ( go to ) methods to clean these under hood liners?

Yah, Jim, I imagine the liners on those grills with Stainless hoods is primarily there to prevent the tempering of the lid. However, I don't think the grills would get hot enough under normal conditions to discolor the lids even without a liner. During a grease fire or maybe if left on for an extended time on full, it might, but a normal 600 degree cook probably wouldn't be a problem.

I am currently working on Gold B for a rehab and I just hit the lid with my pressure washer. That helped, but it still looked pretty bad. I am going to hit it with some oven cleaner and the hit it with the pressure washer again. Maybe try a little scrubbing. But if it doesn't clean up enough, I will rip it out drive on.

Ha! Rip it out and drive on......yep gotta know when to hold em and no when to drive on :) I will finish my sidewinder tomorrow and run a couple heat cycles. If it doesnt turn colors on me I will sell it with no liner. Its easy around here to find donor grills with rotted out floors for $50 but I currently dont have the space to have parts grills laying around.
Thanks for the replies!

My mom's 2009 Gensis E320 ( side control ) does not have the liner. It's been cooking fine since 2009 without a liner.

I recall @Rich Dahl has a side control E3xx and wonder if that has a SS hood liner or not.

Every E3xx with front controls that I've seen has a liner, both enamel lid and SS lid.
My 2009 E320 doesn't have a liner.

Thanks Rich.....I wasnt sure if Dan was saying his Mom's grill had a SS hood or not.....but if there are two out there not turning color that are stainless steel my confidence is starting to go up!

Thanks Rich.....I wasnt sure if Dan was saying his Mom's grill had a SS hood or not.....but if there are two out there not turning color that are stainless steel my confidence is starting to go up!
2009 copper enamel E320 sidewinder without an inner liner.

Thanks Dan....yep I have resto'd many coppers with no liners its just the Stainless Steel that I am concerned about.

Back