Hello (again) from Indy

Dave in Indy

Long time since I've been on this board. Back around 2006 I bought a WSM, and got a lot of use out of it (as did my friends and family from a meal perspective). In 2012 I bought a BGE, used it until a couple years ago, then sold it. Nothing was particularly wrong with the BGE but I sold it for a couple reasons: 1. it was simply not as "fun" as the WSM, at least not for me. You basically set the temp and you are done. I know the WSM is close to to that but still, I loved tinkering with various cooking methods, the water, etc. 2. when my BGE plate setter (shield between fire and cooking area) broke, instead of spending another $150 to replace it, I thought I would run and add and see what I could get for it. I ended up selling it quickly and have been doing a few smokes on my kettle since. I've decided to get another WSM as I miss the real smokes and now deciding between 22" and 18" models. It should be noted that the main reason I am going back to the WSM is flavor. I've used both BGE and WSM extensively and, to me, there is no difference. I kind of got obsessed with reading the various reviews and boards on the WSM vs. BGE taste...but my own opinion is that the WSM produced the same quality of flavor as the the BGE, it's less expensive, and much easier to move when you need to do so. I've always loved this board and it's good to be back!

Welcome back Dave! I thought about doing a Kamado but like you, just didn't see the fun in it. I have a Genesis and 22" WSM. I agree, the WSM is a lot of fun to cook on. It seems like the 22" is oversized for most of the cooks I do, but every now and then I cook for a big crowd, or do a full brisket, so generally speaking I'm good with the 22. 22" is also good if you're going to cook on the top great without the water pan. I hear the 18 is a little easier to control temperature on if you're not using auto temp control. I would recommend the 22" if you're going to do full sized briskets and/or feed big groups. Otherwise the 18" probably makes more sense.

I'm also tinkering with a PK360 now. I have mixed feelings for the PK so far. Grilling is a breeze on the PK but I have yet to get comfortable with smoking on the PK which is supposed to be "easy". Sometime this fall, I'll probably post my feelings on the PK360 vs Kettle. Right now I'm feeling like I might go back to the kettle, in particular if I can't crack the code on smoking with the PK 360.

Here's a photo of my jerk chicken cook on the 22" from the other weekend. I could have fit two or three more leg quarters on there for sure.jerk chic on grill.jpg

Hello John K, appreciate the note and information. I've looked at the PK 360 and they do seem very nice. Let me know how the smoking/temp control turns out for you. Since I have the Weber Kettle 22", I am moving forward with the WSM. I also have a Saber 3-burner natural gas grill which is great for quick weeknight cooks. Those two grills plus the WSM should set me up for a while :). Also, thanks for the perspective on size choices of WSM - very helpful. I'll upload a couple pics of my setup after I purchase. Thanks again - good to be back!

Dave,
Welcome back. I have the little guy, the 14 WSM. There are times I wish I had an 18, however everytime I see the 22 I am blown away at how big that thing is. If the is a local place you can see the two different sizes I recommend it. Good luck either way you go.

Welcome
I have the 18.5 WSM (50$ via craigslist ) with the hunsaker hanger
gives me a ton more space options for everything but brisket

but I’m not regularly planning on making full briskets regularly at least

Dave,
Welcome back. I have the little guy, the 14 WSM. There are times I wish I had an 18, however everytime I see the 22 I am blown away at how big that thing is. If the is a local place you can see the two different sizes I recommend it. Good luck either way you go.
Thanks for the note Michael, probably going to finally pick mine up next week and looking forward to it!

Welcome
I have the 18.5 WSM (50$ via craigslist ) with the hunsaker hanger
gives me a ton more space options for everything but brisket

but I’m not regularly planning on making full briskets regularly at least
Appreciate the note Aaron. Yes, the 18.5 worked fine for me so I'm probably going to go with that one....picking up next week!

Hello from east central Indiana and please post pics when you get it and show us your cooks. This post has been quite helpful for me as I've just been using my kettle for smoking, had been thinking about a WSM, and it's nice to see this discussion of the sizes. Thanks.

Welcome back Dave, a WSM is hard to beat. And I would like to say Indy is a great city, and the Weber Grill Restaurant is a experience not to be missed, along with the races...

Back