Hello again … it has been awhile

LoisSanborn

I joined this forum back in the late ‘90s when I lived in Seattle and wanted to buy a new Weber bullet. I used this forum extensively while learning how to smoke. I learned so much from everyone, not just about smoking, but also improving my grilling skills.

In the early years I had a Smoky Joe, a Go Anywhere, a gas grill, a hibachi, and a couple of Coleman camping stoves, but had to get rid of them all when we downsized. Had to unload a few coolers too which I still regret.

I live in a suburb of Seattle now, am retired, and lost my partner a year ago. I still have my beloved 22” inch Weber kettle (bought for $15 at a garage sale in 1997) and the WSM bullet.

I came back today because I’m thinking about getting a small grill again, probably a Smoky Joe, for firing up quickly to grill something small like a brat, burger or salmon filet, maybe a steak. I’ve also been revisiting hibachis, but a Weber is lighter and requires less maintenance. And I know how to use them.

I intend to peruse those particular threads. Although, now that I’m back, I’m sure I won’t be able to resist wandering around other threads just to see what people are enjoying these days.

Very glad this forum is still here. Thank you, Chris, and everyone for keeping it going.

Hi Lois, glad you came back, we need more women on this site. I am soo sorry about your loss.

I don't know a thing about grills or grilling, but I do like collecting recipes. Hope you have some good ones to share.

I have a smoky Joe and a Jumbo Joe. The SJ is great for direct grilling such as you said for brats, burgers, salmon, etc.
The JJ is much more versatile as you can do indirect or zone cooking, it is a little bigger and heavier than a SJ but it's not like working with a 22 kettle. I even do vortex chicken on my JJ.
Once I got the JJ the SJ pretty much went into retirement.

Hi Lois, glad you came back, we need more women on this site. I am soo sorry about your loss.

I don't know a thing about grills or grilling, but I do like collecting recipes. Hope you have some good ones to share.
Thank you for your kind words, Joan. It is nice to be back. I remember that there were only a few of us gals, quietly knowing that we can cook just well as the guys once we learn the tricks...from them, of course!

Most of the recipes I use can still be found on this site: Stogie's chicken, Keri's pork butts and delicious sides, Paul Kirk's and Jim Minion's rubs and sauces... On and on they go and they're all great!

I have a smoky Joe and a Jumbo Joe. The SJ is great for direct grilling such as you said for brats, burgers, salmon, etc.
The JJ is much more versatile as you can do indirect or zone cooking, it is a little bigger and heavier than a SJ but it's not like working with a 22 kettle. I even do vortex chicken on my JJ.
Once I got the JJ the SJ pretty much went into retirement.
Thanks for the recommendation, Rich. I've spent all day looking at this site and Jumbo Joes seem to be the hands-down favorite for small, portable grills. I can see why. It will do almost everything the 22" does, but will be easier to haul around the patio and will be more efficient for small cooks. I didn't even know they existed until today. I've already decided to get one based on all the reviews. That's the best part of this excellent site.

Hi Lois, and welcome back!

I've merged your old account into this new one, so you retain your previous post history.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Lois, and welcome back!

I've merged your old account into this new one, so you retain your previous post history.

Best regards,
Chris
Thank you very much, Chris. I couldn't get my old login to work. It's nice to see this site is still running. I used to spend a lot of time on in and I've spent all day today on it poking around all the threads. Totally fun and absorbing. It's nice to be back.

Thank you again for your hard work and dedication to keeping it going.

Best regards,

Lois

Back