Heavy Creosote Buildup Removal

LMooney

So I never knew about the creosote issue until all my smokes all started tasting the same no matter what. All bitter. So I did some research on here and realized Im smoking wrong and allowing for creosote to flavor the meat. Im currently working on how to change my methods, but ill save that for another post.

My main question is, will a MAPP Torch damage the inside of my lid? Im currently using it to get the creosote to bubble and scrape off, but there are a few sections that no matter how much heat, the buildup won't come off.

Could this damage the inner porcelain? Im noticing the coating seems to be duller in some spots, but im not sure if that is just normal. Just want to make sure im not melting anything I shouldn't be.

Also, if not using MAPP, how else should I get this creosote off my smoker? It is extremely built up as I was extremely naive on my cooking methods. Any guidance is appreciated.

Last edited:
Just use a garden hose after each smoke and no problemos since 2007 when I first got my unit.

Back