HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

Hey Brian and team. Thank you for everything. I've completed my build and I have it all installed in Matt's great 3D printed case. I booted it up the first time... To my pleasant surprise it worked!!! That never happens.

I am having an issue, though. I can't connect via a web browser. I apologize in advance if has been discussed. I've searched and didn't find anything.

Here is what I do.

- Power on and I get the "No Pit Probe" reading.
- I plug in Ethernet. After about 20 seconds I get IP Address = 192.168.200.1
- I ping 192.168.200.1 and make connections. No issues

When I point my web browser to http://192.168.200.1 I get a blank page and it times out.

I'm plugged into Ethernet that goes through my local router (running OpenWRT no less... ha.). I don't have any conflicting IP addresses or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Preston

What is you're existing router's IP address and what is your PC's address?

Hey everybody,
I have another problem again and I will try to describe it. Maybe someone had the same similar problem and knows a solution.
Yesterday I tested my HM 4.0 standalone without a pit. I only wanted to know if it works over a longer time so I tested this about 2 hours.
At the beginning everything seems to work but after about 3 minutes it starts to show ‘no pit probe’.
But this is only for about 1 second and then it goes on normally.
From that on I had this problem the whole time. Sometimes it happens every 3 minutes one and the next time it happens every 10 seconds 3 times in a row.
And every time this happens the fan stops spinning for a moment.
The same is with FOOD1 (I only have one food probe at the moment) but without the fan stops.
When I turn the manual fan mode ‘on’ the fan is spinning without problems but the pit temp has still this problem. It doesn’t show ‘no pit probe’ anymore. It shows 0°C for these short times.
If I haven’t plugged the fan in the problem seems to be away. But I would really like to use it with the fan.
Any ideas?
Thank you.

Edit: Probes are the Maverick ET-732
What temperature did you test them? Room temperature? If so, the 732 probes do the same thing for me. In my experience however, the hotter they get, the more reliable the reading. FYI, I am using the 10k resistors, if you want to increase the low temperature accuracy of the 732 probes, you can switch to the 22k resistors but this will sacrifice some high temp accuracy.

Here is a plot I did a while ago to compare the 10k vs 22k resistor with the ET-732 probes. You can see that down around the 64-104F there is a significant improvement. This is typically where people have issues with the ET-732 probes switching between a temp and 'no pit probe'. On the high end there is still tons of resolution at 500F+. I chose a 22k because it puts the 205F-305F temperature range in the sweet spot of the probe.

ET-732-22kvs10k.jpg

dave

- I ping 192.168.200.1 and make connections. No issues
When I point my web browser to http://192.168.200.1 I get a blank page and it times out.
There was a bug I fixed recently that could cause the web server to crash on startup if it couldn't get any data from the HeaterMeter. I don't know if that's what you're seeing though, because if the HeaterMeter is showing you the IP address then the web server is running.

Try `telnet 192.168.200.1` and see if you get into it. If you can, try a `ps` command and look for the lucid process. Not running? `/etc/init.d/lucid start` and look for it in the ps list again. Then hit it with the web browses and see if it crashes.

Turns out it was a networking issue. I decided to isolate both the HeaterMeter and my computer by plugging them both directly into an ethernet switch. I assigned the computer a static IP address of 192.168.200.2. In this configuration it worked perfectly. From that point I configured WIFI to my home network. I didn't go back and troubleshoot ethernet on my home network, but I assume it was related to my computer being 192.168.1.x and the HeaterMeter being 192.168.200.1. Anyway... I'm rocking now. Thanks everyone.

This build was my first time to build out a PCB. I enjoyed it and I'd like to learn what each of the subsystems do and why certain diodes, resisters, etc. were chosen over others. Bryan's already done too much... If others want to contribute information, I'm happy to compile a "hardware what and why guide" for those that are interested.

Thanks,
Preston

Here is a plot I did a while ago to compare the 10k vs 22k resistor with the ET-732 probes. You can see that down around the 64-104F there is a significant improvement. This is typically where people have issues with the ET-732 probes switching between a temp and 'no pit probe'. On the high end there is still tons of resolution at 500F+. I chose a 22k because it puts the 205F-305F temperature range in the sweet spot of the probe.

ET-732-22kvs10k.jpg

dave

Hey Dave, do you know how the ET-73 probes do with the 22k resistors?

Here's my data on the ET-72 probes with 22k and 6.8k. The scale is sideways compared to Dave's, with the temperature on the Y axis rather than the X. You can see their curve is most sensitive between ~40F to 180F, which makes sense considering they're made to be food probes.
steinhart.png

Look like Bryan beat me. Here is what I have, hopefully they say the same thing :)

I personally don't like the ET72 with the 22k, but I have cooked with it and it works fine.

ET-72-22kvs10k_zpsa071eb71.jpg

dave

Network problem with raspberry pi

Hey,

now my HM standalone works.
It was the Problem with the room temperature.

Now I have another problem. I bought a raspberry pi and tried to connect it with the ethernet wire to configure the wifi.
But there ist no connection with my laptop. I set the ip to 192.168.200.2 but still no connection. And also no light at the LNK-LED.

So I thought it could be a problem with the pi and installed raspbian wheezy. And with this everythings seems to work and all LED´s are on.

When I connect the pi to a monitor withe the openwrt image on it there ist nothing, too.

I have a pi 2.0 rev B 512mb, a samsung 8gb class6 SD card and the edimaxx wifi adapter. On the SD card there is the openwrt image from 01-Mar-2013 10:21 installed withe the disk imager.

When I plug in the power adapter the red PWR LED lights up and the green ACT LED light up too only for a really short time. Then it goes off and the PWR LED is still on. But no connection with my laptop or a switch.

Any ideas???

Last edited:
Make sure the cables are good and do you have access to a crossover ethernet cable? If so, you could try going direct from the laptop to the rpi.

I would reimage the flash card, The leave the 192.168.200.2 on the wired interface (permanently) and on the wifi interface enable dhcp or a static address that is on your network (ie:192.168.1.100). openwrt doesn't like have two ip's in the same subnet on two different interfaces. As soon as you unplug the wired both would quit working.

Hey,

now my HM standalone works.
It was the Problem with the room temperature.

Now I have another problem. I bought a raspberry pi and tried to connect it with the ethernet wire to configure the wifi.
But there ist no connection with my laptop. I set the ip to 192.168.200.2 but still no connection. And also no light at the LNK-LED.

So I thought it could be a problem with the pi and installed rasperian wheezy. And with this everythings seems to work and all LED´s are on.

When I connect the pi to a monitor withe the openwrt image on it there ist nothing, too.

I have a pi 2.0 rev B 512mb, a samsung 8gb class6 SD card and the edimaxx wifi adapter. On the SD card there is the openwrt image from 01-Mar-2013 10:21 installed withe the disk imager.

When I plug in the power adapter the red PWR LED lights up and the green ACT LED light up too only for a really short time. Then it goes off and the PWR LED is still on. But no connection with my laptop or a switch.

Any ideas???

I tried it again with the router but it doesen't work. Bought a crossover wire at eBay know for 2€. Now I have to wait a few days.

Is it normal that I can see nothning at the monitor if I connect one with hdmi??

And how can I get to the console with a keyboard?

Last edited:
Hey,

now I got my crossover wire but again no connection.

I also tried it again with raspbian wheezy and had a ethernet connection within seconds.

And I tried the rPi with the heatermeter waiting for an ip-adress showing up but no luck and no ip-adress.

For me it looks like it doesen´t really boot up.

If the webserver isn´t running how can I start it without a connection to the pi?

By the way my rPi is from RS and not from element14. But there shouldn´t be so much difference or is it?

Does anyone have a rPi from RS Components working with the Heatermeter??

Last edited:
This may be a silly question but did you unzip the image file from openwrt-rpi.zip before using the Win32DiskImager to flash it? You want to flash the .img not the .zip.

The lights should light up just like they do with Raspbian-- with the red light coming on and then the green light flashing for a few seconds, then the ethernet link lights light up. The whole boot process should be complete in about 20 seconds and the monitor should be on. Pressing [enter] once it is booted will give you a console (although you should see all the boot messages scrolling by long before that.

There are no silly questions anymore since my problem with the wire.
But yes I took the .img not the .zip. The DiskImager let you only choose .img files.
I tried it with my TV at hdmi but there is no connection and no boot messages.
That’s the reason I think there is a boot problem.
The last idea that I have is to change the sd card.
I will try that when I´m at home and tell you what happens.

Is there maybe a log file or anything like that on the sd card where i can see any error messages or something like that?

I also recognized that in the file name of the openwrt image there is "ext4". But if I look at the sd card with the "MiniTool Partition Wizard" there is "ext2/3". Could that cause only problems?

EDIT: New idea: The boot problem is caused by the HYNIX chip.
On my research at the internet I found this post on this site:

- Older images do not load boot code for revB boards with the Hynix chip. Use release 2012-02-09 (?) or later. (I observe a single blip on the green activity LED)
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

and that sounds exactly like my problem.
Could it be that the openwrt image is not compatible with this chip?
And how can I change that?
I read about to replace the start.elf and the bootcode.bin from the wheezy-image but I don´t think that will work. Anyway I will try it.
If so, more people will have this problem with the newer versions of the revB 2.0.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there's no log generated until the operating system starts executing, and you're having problems before that. The ext2/3/4 thing is fine. Most partition managers display "type 82" partitions as some variety of "Ext" when in truth type 82 means "Linux Filesystem" and can be Ext2/3/4, Xfs, reiser, btrfs, etc.

You could try replacing the boot loader files (the ones you can see in windows) with the bootcode.bin, loader.bin, and start.elf from raspbian and see if that fixes things (oh I guess there's no loader.bin any more?). I'm pegged to git revision 02cda903bd918190acbde4acd5d63aa97ecd444f which happens to be 2012-08-19 of the "boot firmware". I use a RaspberryPi Model A which shares the same components as the newest B revision so I'm fairly certain it should work. I would consider moving to a more recent firmware if you can find one that works for you.

Yesterday I tried the things with replacing the files in the boot section.
So what I did was:
- write the raspbian wheezy image I downloaded a few days ago to the sd card
- copied the bootcode.bin and the start.elf to my local drive (the files from github should be the same)
- formatted the card as FAT32
- write the openwrt image to the card
- replaced the bootcode.bin and the start.elf with the one from wheezy
and….. IT WORKS!!!
I didn´t had much time to test the things. Only thing I tested was connecting the rPi (without the HM) with the crossover cable to my laptop and in the browser go to 192.168.200.1 and I saw the heatermeter startpage.
If I have more time I will try the rest (if the probes and fan are working…) but I think if it is booting the rest should work, too.
I´m so happy that it was “so easy” this time.
And again: I think the rPis with the SAMSUNG chips on it don´t need it but the one with the HYNIX chip do.

Last edited:

Back