Heatermeter Stand

The left screw could touch the groundplane of the RPI but there is a 4mm clearance. The clearance of the right screw is 14mm.

So far this hasn't caused any problems but it would be possible to move both keyholes 5mm to the sides of the case and 2mm up. Then wouldn't be any chance of the screws touching anything.

An other idea I've been playing with is to make recesses in the case for two 12x2 mm neodymium disks. These would be more than strong enough to hold a HM.

I tried making 9.5x3mm disk magnet recesses on the inside of the case with a 0.5mm plastic layer on the bottom and 12x3mm magnets on the outside for them to attach to and I found it way too easy to slide off. I even tried angling the receiving brackets and putting neoprene foam contact areas and it still seemed precarious. The only experiments I did with them on the outside I couldn't find a glue around the house that bonded well with both the plastic and metal magnets so they would come off after a few uses.

There's not enough room in the 4.3 case to put keyholes without them contacting the Pi. That thing crams the Pi right into the edge of the case with about 1 mm to spare. :(

Showing off the new stands :)

Thanks to WBegg for sharing the design and to John Bostwick for providing the prints.
Great job gentlemen!

The parts fit together easily and perfectly.

eejTTTa.jpg

ejdnMpk.jpg

tgRfZn6.jpg

HE2kYDU.jpg

9fTCnmO.jpg

Good looking stands, Len.

Has anyone tried to fit a 4.3.3 case in the stand yet? Maybe I'll print a case today and see if it fits. If not, I'll do a separate design and post.

Good looking stands, Len.

Has anyone tried to fit a 4.3.3 case in the stand yet? Maybe I'll print a case today and see if it fits. If not, I'll do a separate design and post.

You will need to lengthen the resting arms a bit, about 6mm from measuring the differences in the cases.

You will need to lengthen the resting arms a bit, about 6mm from measuring the differences in the cases.

Thanks John. I'll give it a go. I'm printing a 4.3 case now, so I'll verify the new fit before posting.

I may just need to adjust the angle on the front arms to accommodate the 6mm difference, or produce a smaller bead on the front.

Last edited:
Hey mate, what sort of 'settings' did you have your cases printed at? My case seems a bit rougher than yours, I like how yours has a smoother texture. Is it ABS or PLA?

The cases are from Bryan's HeaterMeter Store and I believe they are PLA. You would have to ask Bryan how they were printed.

The cases are from Bryan's HeaterMeter Store and I believe they are PLA. You would have to ask Bryan how they were printed.
Yup Protoparadigm PLA. The left looks like "Sage" which I feel is more "Desert Tan" and the right is their "Dark Stone Gray". I print them at 230C, with a 0.6mm nozzle, 0.72mm-0.78mm trace width, 0.3mm layers, 70mm/s, right on bare clean glass at 57C.

Yup Protoparadigm PLA. The left looks like "Sage" which I feel is more "Desert Tan" and the right is their "Dark Stone Gray". I print them at 230C, with a 0.6mm nozzle, 0.72mm-0.78mm trace width, 0.3mm layers, 70mm/s, right on bare clean glass at 57C.

Thanks Bryan. I don't own a 3D Printer, I had my cases printed through 3DHubs. I'm happy with it, mine was printed at 100 microns but no idea of the infill or other settings, you don't have much say over it. Yours just look exceptionally smooth.

Finally got around to modifying the stand to suit Bryan's 4.3 case. The braces should be the same (Maybe too long? I'm printing now to see). The files are at the same link here, and the new file added is Stand_V4_3.stl.

Back