HeaterMeter Homebrew Controller

Yeah you can use one of the available WiShields, but the problem is that there's not enough space on there to store the webpage. The only thing you can get would be the raw JSON data object with the current temeratures. Both the ones from eBay and the Arduino DiamondBack are the same shields, with no flash on them. The driver built into HeaterMeter is directly usable by those devices though.

Theoretically you could solder on an SD card to the SPI bus (4 wires + power/ground) and then modify the code to use that but I've never gotten into it because I don't have the hardware.

Maybe someday when I have time I'll turn my WiFi chip into one...

Actually I did a quick look into this. The SD card library adds over 4kB to the program size and that won't fit.
Barebones HeaterMeter, no serial no network: 13.4kB
HeaterMeter +serial -network = 17.2kB
HeaterMeter -serial +network = 28.5kB
Limit = 31.5kB

So you could might be able to hack around to get it to just fit but it is going to be a continuous struggle to cut code every time something gets added to HeaterMeter.

I have been very quiet, but have recently built and test run a heatermeter myself, and here are a bunch of photos and comments about the project.

It's based on a BlackWidow (ordered one before they shut down), and the additional circuitry was assembled on an Adafruit Arduino protoboard.

Pretty much everything has gone as expected; and here are the few variations I went from the plans that everyone is posting
- Used an IRLB8721 as the FET, as it's a bit cheaper than an IRL/IRF510. Definately should stikc with an IRL not an IRF as the L's are designed to be driven by logic level, fully on at 5v vs 12v. Adafruit have them in stock, but bought from DigiKey.
- Used a 1N4148 as the diode in the LCD controller. The 4148 is the modern (ok 30 yr old vs 50) replacement for the 1N914, and available everywhere (including my parts bins)
- Used 22k 1% resistors for the references
- Used a 74LS164 instead of an HCT164, but the local guy had LS in stock, not HCT. For this use, speed/power aren't important
- Mounted an AT45DB161 memory chip on the protoboard as the Blackwidow doesn't have one on board (vs the WiShield). 1st experience in soldering an SMT, bought a 1/64" tip for the weller to do so, but it went well.
- Used, and very happy with, an Auber blower after I made a mod to the smoker
- Maverick Probes. Would buy the 6ft probes next time.

Made a mod on the smoker (a Napolean Apollo -- much like a WSM), for a new air hole (19mm), and deflection plate (see photos). Works much better than just using an existing air hole.

I'm going to re-write the web interface soon, haven't had much chance and right now the router is too far away from the back yard to make it work well, so until I rewire the house properly...

Photos: http://www.snafu.ca/heatermeter/

Web references;

http://www.maverickhousewares....arts_and_service.htm
http://www.auberins.com/index....4_27&products_id=192
http://www.adafruit.com/

It continues to amaze me how people pick up on this project and are able to piece together their own solution from the countless forum posts. Well done Scott!

Bryan / Ed, is this thing at a point where it can finally be wrapped up with a pretty bow so that the "massses" can have at it? If so, I'm happy to help out wherever I can.

- John

My background is actually electronics, so this wasn't really super tough.

I had considered making my own PCB from scratch, but if I were to do it, I'd use PCB mounted connectors and push buttons, and just make a slightly larger PCB. The advantages of losing all the flying leads to various things are enormous; and speed assembly.

Thanks ed. I was wondering about the fuel usage. I was just wondering as my local parts warehouse has some cheap induction fans in a length of pipe. My pit is pretty leaky and I've been trying to seal it all up with high temp sealent. I've yet to get a good fan setup that I like and works on my pit. I may just have to order a normal blower fan. The "computer" fans just are not cuttting it.

I've got a double 55 gallon barrel setup. Kind of looks like a T shape. Right now its only the lid that leaks a bit. I think I linked some pics in earlier posts on this thread.

I use a 55 gallon drum and had to upgrade to a larger blower. I do have a ball valve constricting air flow into the drum, but with 34cfm blower it pushes alot of air into it to be able to contol it, fairly good.

I too use the Alum. tape and it works great

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am also working on a ethernet based thermo. I am curious to what resistor I should be using with the Maverick 73. I am currently using a trim pot to set it as close as I can to 22.1k resistance.

Thanks for your help.

I am having trouble uploading the heatermeter software to my Arduino Uno board. I am using the most updated version off of GitHub and it keeps giving me this error.

hmmenus.cpp: In function 'state_t menuNetworkInfo(button_t)':
hmmenus.cpp:219: error: 'zg_get_rssi' was not declared in this scope

Can this version be used with the wishield V2.0? I also cant seem to get the R97 version working from page one of this topic. I will post the errors I keep getting off of that in a different post. Thanks for all the help.

Here is the errors I get when I try to upload the R97 version of the heatermeter softwarefrom page one.

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-4
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Any help would be great thank you.

Originally posted by Duston Anthony:
Here is the errors I get when I try to upload the R97 version of the heatermeter softwarefrom page one.

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-4
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Any help would be great thank you.

Your error is not uncommon. I was having the same issues. Check out the forum post linked below. There is a bug in the bootloader that causes the upload to fail for large sketch sizes.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/...BB.pl?num=1287435600

Ah! I didn't even notice people had posted to this thread. Let me try and catch up.

Originally posted by M Rochford:
I am new to this forum and I am also working on a ethernet based thermo. I am curious to what resistor I should be using with the Maverick 73. I am currently using a trim pot to set it as close as I can to 22.1k resistance.
That depends on where you want your best sensitivity. If you look at this graph you can see how voltage at the divider changes with at various temperatures for 2 different resistors.
steinhart.png

As you can see the 22k ohm starts to really lose precision at about 250F, which makes sense, this probe was made to go in a piece of food. With 6.8k you can go a little further, about 300F, with the tradeoff that you lose a little precision throughout the entire range. The standard HeaterMeter used in a linkmeter uses 10k resistors which seems to be a decent tradeoff.

Originally posted by Duston Anthony:
hmmenus.cpp: In function 'state_t menuNetworkInfo(button_t)':
hmmenus.cpp:219: error: 'zg_get_rssi' was not declared in this scope
If compiling from the latest on github, you'll need to use the WiShield Contrib branch or my fork of it.

Originally posted by Dave Smith:
is this wishield the one needed?

www.cutedigi.com/product_info.php?products_id=4361
Yes it is, but if you put it in your cart it will tell you:
"Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity.
You can buy them anyway and the quantity not in stock will be back orderd. The quantity we have in stock for immediate delivery can be reviewed in the checkout process."

Because asynclabs doesn't make them any more, it might be a long wait.

Back