HeaterMeter 4.3 Assembly Videos

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I've added YouTube videos to the wiki that show the entire build process of a 4.3 HeaterMeter in all boring detail. There's not much to it except staring down at a green PCB with parts going into it as I struggle to talk and solder at the same time. People have asked for it though so maybe it will help someone or at least build confidence when you see just how easy it is!

Base Board Assembly

Oops looks like I can't have two videos in once message. No worries though, I made a playlist with both the button board and base board videos.

I did the LCD / Base board first because I think it is a little easier to get started with. I shot it with autofocus on and it seemed the focus kept trying to hunt every time my fingers got into the frame so I did the base board version with manual focus set about half an inch above the workspace and it seems everything was a little fuzzy. Suggestions from the Youtube stars we have here are welcome because I am looking to add a couple more videos to the list.

Noticed you're soldering 1 component at a time. I'm sure it's for demonstration purposes for those 1st time builders with little soldering experience.

You have a 3D printer, so I thought I'd turn you and those with one to this, an awesome holder that rotates and has a hold-down to hold components as you solder. I cut my soldering time in half with this thing, and love it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:965574

I do usually do a couple of parts at a time, especially like all those capacitors in a row, but I thought it would be easier to follow if it was just one at a time. Especially considering I was working way out in front of me to get it on camera so I was having enough trouble with getting the parts in and soldering them from an 6-8" away. Funny how moving just a little distance away thew me off so much.

I might try to print that PCB holder thing, it looks neat. Where the heck am I going to get all that metric hardware though?!

I just bend the leads out abit to hold part in-place, then solder........parts don't fall out that way.

Back