Heat fatigue holes in old Weber kettle bottom

Darren Lebner

TVWBB All-Star
They're at most the size of a wall nail or screw.

Any way to fix this? Or just keep using it until the bottom falls out - literally?

Also, any way to prevent or delay them in the first place?

Thanks, everyone.

I had issues with holes in the bottom where the legs were attached and made a new stand for it.
No other holes.
If there are not many you could close them with nuts and bolts and washers.
Otherwise, keep using.

Are you using a bottom grid?
And clean out the ashes after use?

Always used a bottom grid. This kettle must be at least 20-25 years old. I often did not clean out the ashes until the next use, which was often intermittent. It also often went uncovered to the elements. Me bad!

Yeh, I'll just keep on using it until it's beyond usage.

I treat my new Performer with much greater respect, usually removing the coals and ash the next day and always covering it when not in use.

I can understand the nostalgia aspect, and I know this is dependent upon location, but I see a lot of black kettles available in my area for less than $50...some can be had for free. Couldn't you find another kettle that's in better shape and swap out the bottom?

I use beer can aluminum for shim stock...it's pretty thin (0.004").

I can understand the nostalgia aspect, and I know this is dependent upon location, but I see a lot of black kettles available in my area for less than $50...some can be had for free. Couldn't you find another kettle that's in better shape and swap out the bottom?
Oh, I'm not going to "can" it.

When it finally goes, I'll get a new, shiny and better Weber. Faster! Faster!

Oh, I'm not going to "can" it.

When it finally goes, I'll get a new, shiny and better Weber. Faster! Faster!
You could also use some hi-heat putty, but I like your idea better. I see new or very lightly used kettles in my area at a substantial savings over retail, and it's fun for me to watch the market anyway!

Don't think of them as holes, think of them as additional air inlets. My buddy has a rivet gun, I cut open beer cans, flattened them out and riveted them to the bottom of my 78 kettle.

Did your buddy use to work in a body repair shop for old pickups?

Someone used that repair technique to the floor of an old F250 I bought used. Beer cans, license plates and chicken wire riveted on and covered with some spray on coating. It was beautiful work.

I knew someone who used old kayo cans to fix exhaust.
I had to do that on the RV to limp home from the central part of the state...a sheet cut from a one gallon Coleman Fuel Can and some wire coat hangars to hold it all together got us home without incident...

Did your buddy use to work in a body repair shop for old pickups?

Someone used that repair technique to the floor of an old F250 I bought used. Beer cans, license plates and chicken wire riveted on and covered with some spray on coating. It was beautiful work.
I knew someone with a 20+ year old rusted car - top to bottom. He was satisfied that the rain coming in drained out through the floor.

Back