Have Chilies need rub. Guajillo, Aleppo, Chipotle, ancho, ect.

Michael N

TVWBB Fan
So I've gotten a load of new chilies and so far I've just substituded Guajillo and Aleppo for ancho, paprika, and cayeene.

I'd love to get some new rubs that have some of these more complex chilies in them. Most of what I've seen while trolling the forum doesn't have these (except for a few that don't list amounts).

If it matters, I currently use KK rubs for ribs and brisky.

I'd like a rub for

Tri-tip:
Ribs:
Brisky:

I like just the dry rub part of this for tri (leave the salt out; salt the meat first, wait till moisture is drawn, apply the rub over the salt) and this one for tri or brisket (you can add Aleppo to it too). Try this for butt or ribs (using Aleppo and guajillo as subs for the total amount of chilies noted) and see the variation of Rita's farther downthread for poultry.

If you're pleased with the flavors of Aleppo and guajillo, as I am, you can generally sub either or a blend of the two for the paprika in many rub recipes that are not paprika-centric. For those that are you can do the same, or you can lighten the result by subbing half to three-quarters of the paprika with a blend or your two chilies, and sub the other half or quarter with gran onion or a blend of onion and garlic.

Thanks Kevin,
I've made 1 of the three rubs already and enjoyed them. I did try the same idea of subbing peppers but wasn't sure if it would just over power the rub. I will definately try kicking up some of the onion/garlic to balance the change in peppers and add some more savory to the mix. I'm amazed at how improved most rubs are with better chilies.

I just made the brisket rub again and whew... that smells great.

I've been lazy for a while... I just finished toasting the spices for the first time in about a year and what a difference. I'm going to have a hard time testing out the tri rub only because the coffee rub is so good.

Question: would green peppercorns be good in this? and what would they add?
Question2: I recently got some fenugreek, what kind of rub would you recommend for that? I seems to have some celery tones. Would it be good in place of celery seed in a rub?

Yeah, paprika - and dry mustard - have little going for them in rubs. Okay for color or bulk, not for flavor.

Green peppercorn adds a bright pepper flavor. It is good as the single peppercorn flavor or in a blend with other peppercorns (white and/or black). It has 'young', brighter, higher notes.

Fenugreek has some vegetal notes, like celery - but, smell it. You should be able to smell maple notes. It is a key ingredient in many 'curry powders', and is great in those blends, but I often like it in rubs. This recipe for a rib rub includes both the peppercorn blend noted above, fenugreek, and Aleppo. Also see here - it's another rib rub including fenugreek, with ancho and hot NM chilies - and also see the post specific to fenugreek a couple below the recipe. (Yes, though, you could replace celery with fenugreek for an interesting twist. If the celery quantity is relatively small, use 1.5-2 times the fenugreek.)

Back