have a question NEED answer

Dave Bethke

TVWBB Fan
I have a #16 turkey on the cooker, the cooker wont go above 250 Deg. It has been on for an hour.
I just took it off and put it in the oven and the cooker went up to 350 deg (where I wanted it)
Can I assume the turkey is the heat sink and once it heats up it will be up to temp.
I need it done in 4 hours

What should I do: leave it in the oven (boring)
Or put it back on the WSM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Bethke:
I have a #16 turkey on the cooker, the cooker wont go above 250 Deg. It has been on for an hour.
I just took it off and put it in the oven and the cooker went up to 350 deg (where I wanted it)
Can I assume the turkey is the heat sink and once it heats up it will be up to temp.
I need it done in 4 hours

What should I do: leave it in the oven (boring)
Or put it back on the WSM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing as I cook all of my turkeys at 250* I don't see a problem. However since you need it done soon, the higher temp is the way to go. You started it on the WSM, if I were you I'd yank it out of the oven and put it back on the WSM. Your temps should be fine now!!

after I posted I put it back on the cooker
the temp dropped to 300 deg and seems to be holding there.
Just a moment of panic and a lack of patience

Thank you for your responses and support.

Keep it smok'in

Flip the door over so that the knob is on the bottom (if you haven't already; I leave mine this way) then prop the door open at the bottom about 1/2 an inch. Be sure that your prop is solid so that an odd breeze or vibration of your deck doesn't cause the prop to slip and the door to fall..

thanks Kevin

I made #20 of pork yesterday for some families from church that are ill, so I just took that to them.
When I got back the bird was done.
Only took 3 hours with the temps starting at 250 and rising slowly to 350.
Bird looks great.
I just lost my patience waiting for temps to rise and panic'd.
I keep a note pad for all of my cooks and these will be dully noted

Thanks for the help smok'in peeps

Back