Has Weber changed the algorithm?

Eric Fravel

I am experiencing extremely slow warm up times. Last night we threw some sides on the EX6 for 45 min at 225 before adjusting the temp to 600 for steaks. The Smokefire took 35 minutes to warm up to 400 degrees. I was on the phone with Weber to try and diagnose for about 25 minutes but never got through to anyone. This Smokefire doesn't have the same sound that it use to. I think they've dialed back the performance to maintain steady temps. When I purchased it, you could hear the roar of the fan and fire when heating up, now the fan only seems to get up to a medium speed when heating up. Has anyone else experienced this or contacted customer service about it?

Hi Eric. Assuming this is the link that shows the most recent versions, this shows the version history for software, firmware, and app updates: https://consumer-care.weber.com/hc/...est-version-of-the-app-software-and-firmware-

I would not want to assume an issue is tied to software; it may be best to find a way to perform diagnostics that will lead to the true culprit, be it pellet quality, a fan issue, a weak glow plug, etc. I don't quite know how to troubleshoot all of the possible sources of your issue but @Lew Newby is knowledgeable and will offer some feedback, I'm sure.

I have not started up my SF at or above 400f in a while but I did start at 375 last week and the fan was pretty loud in my opinion.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My SmokeFire fan was annoyingly loud always. If you’ve noticed a change in that, I’d probably focus there first. Once lit the glow plugs job is done, so that should be OK. The other issue that bit me a few times on getting to temps was wind. If it was windy or ever just a strong breeze of 15ish MPH and it was blowing straight into the back/vents of the SmokeFire, I’d have issues getting to higher temps.

I think you’re on the right track trying to get ahold of Weber to see if fan algorithms were changed, if not the fan could be going bad.

I am experiencing extremely slow warm up times. Last night we threw some sides on the EX6 for 45 min at 225 before adjusting the temp to 600 for steaks. The Smokefire took 35 minutes to warm up to 400 degrees. I was on the phone with Weber to try and diagnose for about 25 minutes but never got through to anyone. This Smokefire doesn't have the same sound that it use to. I think they've dialed back the performance to maintain steady temps. When I purchased it, you could hear the roar of the fan and fire when heating up, now the fan only seems to get up to a medium speed when heating up. Has anyone else experienced this or contacted customer service about it?
Your auger is clogged with pellet dust. It's an easy fix

Back