Has anyone tried the 5 hour pork butt on kickassbbq.com?

I chatted with Ed (several emails) about this method several years ago when he posted this on another board. He developed it as a way of keeping his Lang 84 clean and to facilitate his business and it worked. I've not tried it because pork is fatty enough without cooking it in it's own juices and I just have a hard time believing that the meat can break down properly in that amount of time (i've been wrong many times before). I just looked at his website and it's clear, he's come along way since we chatted so he must be doing something right.

Bill

That sounds good, and I notice you didn't "inject" the butt, and it's fine.

I can't see the point in injecting, and I've done it. Mainly because the meat is so tender and liquid, that I GUARANTEE that I can mix cooked pork after the fact with whatever liquid you injected, and it will taste the same or better than an injected butt.

Remember, the meat is actually DRYING out as it renders the fat and collagen out, you are not keeping the moisture in cooked meat, only the flavors that the injection had in it. The slippery mouth feel comes from the rendered goo on the meat, not moisture/water/juices.

And if you're trying to "blend" the flavors in the injected liquid with heat, you can do that in a saucepan. And this "high heat" technique of cooking in an aluminum pan would also give you pork juices to blend in with your other "sauce" flavorings.

I'm always out to eliminate unnecessary work/steps, and every test I've made shows that post cook saucing works just as well as injection, but with less work/worry and more control over the flavor. I highly recommend it.

I live in Ed's area and have taken his class.
most of the butts I have cooked are his quick method. It works just fine with alot less mess.
The foiling towards the end is just to speed up the process.
Even the butts that I have made lately low and slow I use the pans because I like the ease of clean up.

I have been doing overnite cooks lately because I needed them done for lunch. I have no special gadgets for the WSM and have not lost any sleep from mistrust. I go to bed and the temp is at 250 when I get up in the morning it is still at 250.

Ed's Lange model 84 is a great looking smoker and I would like to have one ($4000)but the WSM is AWESOME!!!

Dave

Cooked a BB this way today - injected with some Mojo Marinade and dusted with some greek seasoning.

The BB was very moist and tender and I added back some of the pan juices to the pulled meat to moisten it even more since I was holding it for a couple of hours before serving.

The butt got rave reviews from my BBQ loving brother and nephew. The taste was different that my usual butt with Jim Neely-style rub, and would have been very well suited to rolling in corn tortillas with some chopped onions and shredded cheese.

I would do this tomorrow - but there was no meat left over!

I like this method when I need to have meat ready for or after lunch and I don't want to do an all night cook.

Pat

I took this picture back in 2002

BBQInstPorkButt.jpg

Worked great

OTG (Homer Bottom Half), Lazzari Lump, Butts and Rub. No injection done in 4 hours butts were small 5 to 6 pound range.

Originally posted by P Bart:
That sounds good, and I notice you didn't "inject" the butt, and it's fine.

I can't see the point in injecting, and I've done it. Mainly because the meat is so tender and liquid, that I GUARANTEE that I can mix cooked pork after the fact with whatever liquid you injected, and it will taste the same or better than an injected butt.

Remember, the meat is actually DRYING out as it renders the fat and collagen out, you are not keeping the moisture in cooked meat, only the flavors that the injection had in it. The slippery mouth feel comes from the rendered goo on the meat, not moisture/water/juices.

And if you're trying to "blend" the flavors in the injected liquid with heat, you can do that in a saucepan. And this "high heat" technique of cooking in an aluminum pan would also give you pork juices to blend in with your other "sauce" flavorings.

I'm always out to eliminate unnecessary work/steps, and every test I've made shows that post cook saucing works just as well as injection, but with less work/worry and more control over the flavor. I highly recommend it.

P Bart, Not all injections are created equal. The injection we use took me years to get it to where I like it. We think it makes the best pork we have ever had. Many concoctions we have made over the years have failed but we are on track now. It is cooked into the meat, married so to speak.
Its Perrylicious.

I'll echo whoever said that they were grateful for tvwbb for keeping these threads up forever - this is a great resource!

I'm up in Minnesota and I am doing a 7lb butt on a cheapo smoker that I've got...which is probably not a great idea since I'm having trouble keeping the temp below 300 on my rig. I had planned on smoking the butt for 10 hours, but I doubt it'll take that and I didn't want to char the **** out of my meat, so I started to get a little concerned.

Thanks to this thread, however, I'll change up my method and throw some foil on my baby and go from there. Thanks to everyone who blazed this path - if I have time (and if I'm sober enough) I'll post some pics after it is done.

Thanks again everyone!

Great thread, I'm going to attempt this tomorrow on my new WSM.

One question I have, do you guys usually run the pan with water, or empty?

I was worried about getting temps up that high with water

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by MattTM:
Great thread, I'm going to attempt this tomorrow on my new WSM.

One question I have, do you guys usually run the pan with water, or empty?

I was worried about getting temps up that high with water

Thanks in advance
I go with an empty pan in the winter. I usually have trouble getting my WSM above 250 with water in the pan when it's cold outside.

Originally posted by DrTrobridge:
I'll echo whoever said that they were grateful for tvwbb for keeping these threads up forever - this is a great resource!

I'm up in Minnesota and I am doing a 7lb butt on a cheapo smoker that I've got...which is probably not a great idea since I'm having trouble keeping the temp below 300 on my rig. I had planned on smoking the butt for 10 hours, but I doubt it'll take that and I didn't want to char the **** out of my meat, so I started to get a little concerned.

Thanks to this thread, however, I'll change up my method and throw some foil on my baby and go from there. Thanks to everyone who blazed this path - if I have time (and if I'm sober enough) I'll post some pics after it is done.

Thanks again everyone!
Welcome to the forum Doc
icon_smile.gif
I still use Ed's method when it's chilly outside and I don't want to do an over-nighter. Looking forward to the pics too.

Did the 5 hour butt for the first time today. other than it raining all day and killing my temps it turned out Great. I did have to finish in the oven after foiling though, It was just raining to dang hard.

Just used this method for my first WSM smoke this weekend. VERY happy with the results. Probably the best butt Ive cooked.
Im gonna be signing up for Ed's class soon. Heard many good things about it.

Back