Has anyone tried the 5 hour pork butt on kickassbbq.com?

OK, next batch of butts will be done this way. I'm in it for the results, not how it get's there. I'm sure there are "purist" that cringe at the thought of this lol.

If the results are as good as a long cook why not? I think the pan idea sounds great for cleanup but I wonder how much bark I'd loose by using one.

Even if the taste is pretty close it would allow you to have 'Q' when you wouldn't otherwise have the time.

If you are doing it in the pan, then you might be able to improve the texture of the bottom by placing the meat on a rack inside the pan, or on top of some chunks of carrot and onion.

So good so good so good. ZERO leftovers...so bad so bad s bad.

People loved it. I found the meat to be much more moist! I did not inject the butts. I might even take this style of cooking and switch up my competition butt cooking.

Now I can have a butt for dinner and not have to plan days in advance!

Thanks.

Great! Glad to hear I could help someone out. That site I linked in my first post has a lot of good stuff on there. I'm trying to find someone that can do a quick Brisket. I don't have the time to do those long cooks usually associated with that.

The speedy butt thing is what inspired my post dealing with problematic high-temp cooks. Clicky. I've been doing them this way since a recent competition turn in schedule dictated it. The results have been pretty good but I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the temps up. Please check the other thread and lend any advice you might have. Thanks.

I have been reading this thread with great interest. Just got a couple of questions. It was mentioned about using a rack in the aluminum pan. Has anyone tried it. How did it work out. Is there any decision about the water pan. Use it full, empty, or not in at all. Also, has anyone tried this method with a brisket yet. Do you think it would be possible to do a butt on the top rack and a brisket on the bottom rack at the same time if this works with briskets as well. It would be nice to be able to do both and offer the variety for an evening Q. Thanks for any input any of you have.

Hi Mike,
I have never used it with a rack in the pan. I don't think it's necessary. I do fill the water pan a full and keep it full for the next 3-4 hours. Never tried to make Brisket yet so I couldn't comment on that one.

Hope this helps.

I followed the directions pretty much to the letter. I used a full water pan with HOT water to start. I never really got the temps up and over 300 until the end. THis could have been due to the afternoon sun as well though, or the evaporation of the water pan.

I cooked two butts, one on top and one on the bottom. I think the pan and water is needed to displace the heat.

I'm not sure how this would work for brisket...not as forgiving a piece of meat as the butt is.

Clay, tried the quicky version this weekend to see how it goes. Of course I decided to cook 4 butts. Realized you can't get them all in the WSM So I decided to foil instead of using the pans. I couldn't get the cooker past 320 with the meat on. This is even with the door propped open. Any how, They finished in a little over 5 hours. Plenty of juice to put back on the meat when shredding. My wife says theytasted good but lacked the smoke smell. I'll have some tonight. I just can't eat the stuff after cooking. My tastes are all off. Cooked the butts for 3 hours without foil then foiled them for the balance of the cook.Would do this again if I had the need for some quick que BUT for me I still prefer low and slow. I like that this method gives us some flexibility and options in cooking. Oh, I used a foil covered pan-no water.

Hi, folks. I'm a new WSM owner. Found this thread and after reading the hyperlink also, it called for lump charcoal. Has anyone tried regular briquettes? Will they work as well? Thanks again.

Lump burns hotter than briquettes, so it is easier to keep the temp high with lump. However, if you have a new WSM, it typically burns hotter than a seasoned WSM, so you may have no problems at this point burning hot with briquettes.

I did use more smoke wood than I normally would for this cook. I used all different types...apple, cherry, grape and hickory...with the ration being from the list above 1-1-1-2.

Had planty of smoke in my opinion.

I will only do this if I am having people for a evening party. If I am throwing a lunch of afternoon party I will overnight them due to sleeping.

I think one night this week, I'm going to try an overnight cook for the first time. I'm curious to see how the difference is.

I have a similar recipe that I used to use to smoke BBs on my Weber charcoal grill before owning a WSM. It called for about 3 hours of cooking time then wrapping the meat in heavy duty aluminum foil and finishing off for a couple of hours or until reaching desired temp. The pork was excellent, but maybe not as smoky as I like, therefore, this "quick" method is worth trying again with the WSM where the smoke is more concentrated. Imagine that, smoking a BB and getting a night's sleep during the same 24 hour period of time...priceless.

Tom, I did the method you described on the WSM last weekend. PB was good but lacked the smoke taste or smell

I kind of did a modified...8#, smoked at 300-320 for about 6.5 hours. I used a mixed of Apple, Oak and Hickory. Filled the Brinkmann charcoal pan with water, never dried out. It came out fantastic.

Used a foil pan, injected it with a mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar. Standard BBQ rub. I never covered it and only spritzed it once at the 3.5 hour mark. Pulled it at 195, wrapped in foil and put in a cooler for 45 minutes. Pulled...MMmmmMmmm, juicy, nice smoke ring. It still had plenty of chewy bark. I would not hesitate to do another butt this way.

About a month ago, I broke with tradition and did a "high and fast" smoke. It wasn't as high and fast as I've heard some folks doing but it was fast enough.

I had two bone-in pork shoulder blade roasts and of about 5-6 lbs each. I bought them for 99¢ a lb so I figured I could afford to experiment. 24 hours ahead of time, I injected with apple juice and a little Worster sauce at about a half ounce per pound. Then I applied my rub.

I bought a flowerpot base, foiled it, and stuck it in on top of my old water pan. I filled the charcoal ring with a mix of new Kingsford and Lazzarri. Then I added a Weber chimney of lit.

I ran the temp up to 350° and put the shoulders on the top grate....fat up.

I ran the WSM at roughly 310°-320° although I did have one spike up to 339° no problem controlling temps really. I put the smoke to the meat heavy...almost constant smoke...until the meat hit 165°. Then I foiled with a little apple juice and vinegar.

The first shoulder hit 201° after five hours and the second after almost six hours.

I wrapped them in another layer of foil and in a towel and stuck them in a cooler for six hours.

At about six pm, I pulled them. They were still piping hot, and very, very moist. They pulled easily and the smoke ring was at least half an inch thick. The bark was not hard or crisp but it was there and very tasty.

Would I do it this way again? What's not to like? I don't lose any sleep and if I plan on having folks over, I can nearly guarantee that we will eat on time. More important, I don't see any difference in the texture, moisture or flavour...or tenderness. Maybe my standards are just too low but this method has won more than a few competitions and continues to win--with butt, with brisket, with ribs.

I've been wanting to try this and think I will this weekend. I have a 6 lb butt and will probably get another 4-5 lb-er as well. Going to inject both and put them on together. 2 questions... Do you think I can get them both off the WSM to rest in 5-6 hours running around 350? I'd like to put them in the same pan on the top rack. Also, how is the bark sitting in a pan with the 3 hours on, then 2+ hours with tented foil? Thanks.

Back