Has ANYONE received a redesigned 18" grate???

I just bought an 18.5 WSM(Feb 2010) and it still has the old design charcoal grate. It has the giant gaps on each side. I dont even know where to get another grate for the actual WSM and not the kettle grill charcoal grate. I dont really wanna do that anyway because that will raise the charcoal chamber that much more. I might have to get my welder friend on the job to put another rail on each side. Why did even make it this way in the first place?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Terry:
I was told by Weber customer service yesterday (a manager) that the charcoal grate for the 18" WSM had NOT been redesigned for 2009. I thought some of us got the new grate and others had not. If you got a 2009 with the redesigned charcoal grate please chime up, and I would love to have a photo of one with a yardstick across it to show its size... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just took the cooking grates from my old Brinkman and cross hatched them over the weber charcoal grate. Works great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cecil:

I just took the cooking grates from my old Brinkman and cross hatched them over the weber charcoal grate. Works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another vote for the Brinkmann solution.
icon_biggrin.gif
And even though the Brinkmann grates are pretty thin, after a couple of years mine shows no evidence of burning through.

Back