Has anyone ever tried Boneless Beef Ribs on the WSM?

Lee Rogers

I decided to try beef ribs for the first time, but my butcher only had some boneless ready so I bought them. Has anyone ever tried to smoke boneless beef ribs or any boneless ribs at all? I assumed the bones helped add flavor during a slow cook but my butcher said they should cook/taste the same.

Also, it seems like I read somewhere that for beef you should use a rub that contains no sugar of any kind...is this true? Any experiences/suggestions is appreciated.

Am I missing something? How can you have a rib without the bone?

I do intend this post to be sarcastic. I am sincerely curious.

Lee,
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, sorry if I came across that way. I've had a few today. It's a gloomy, dreary, damp day here.
I've never done beef ribs, bone or no bone, but maybe they cook up something like country style pork ribs, which aren't ribs and have no bone. Did he, in fact, sell you country style ribs (pork) or did he sell you beef? Your description of the label says pork to me, but I'm not there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Lee,
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, sorry if I came across that way. I've had a few today. It's a gloomy, dreary, damp day here.
I've never done beef ribs, bone or no bone, but maybe they cook up something like country style pork ribs, which aren't ribs and have no bone. Did he, in fact, sell you country style ribs (pork) or did he sell you beef? Your description of the label says pork to me, but I'm not there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive had a few as well and no you didnt come across as a jerk at all.

They are definitely beef. I asked him for beef ribs and he said he didnt have any at the moment but did have some boneless beef ribs. I just assumed they were cut from the same area as the ribs but with the rib bones removed. Kind of like what happens if you pull that second layer of membrane off pork ribs, and the bones fall out. You can actually see the indentions where the rib bones used to be.

The meat itself looks very nice, with hardly any fat. He said they would be fine to smoke, and he's never lied to me before. I was just hoping maybe someone has prepared these before and could give me a few tips.

When you buy "Boneless Country Style Ribs" and they are pork, then the meat is not ribs at all but rather it's shoulder or butt sliced in about the size of riblets. In either case, following a rib recipe or a chuck recipe for beef should turn out a good product. Whatever you call the meat you have, it's basically beef with a lot of fat and connective tissue which will benefit greatly from a low and slow process. Let us know how it turns out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
When you buy "Boneless Country Style Ribs" and they are pork, then the meat is not ribs at all but rather it's shoulder or butt sliced in about the size of riblets. In either case, following a rib recipe or a chuck recipe for beef should turn out a good product. Whatever you call the meat you have, it's basically beef with a lot of fat and connective tissue which will benefit greatly from a low and slow process. Let us know how it turns out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I got has virtually no fat and I really dont think it has much connective tissue either. Like I said, it looks just like a rack of ribs with no bones...you can tell where the bones used to be. Maybe my butcher was high that day, I dont know.

It may not have fat on it like a fat cap from a brisket or pork butt, but if it's rib meat, it should be well marbled. If it is what you think (boneless rib meat), you'll get good results from following a rib cook recipe (even with no bones).

I haven't tried smoking them, but these are outstanding on the grill with just some salt and pepper seasoning.

The boneless ribs that I've had were already sliced about an inch thick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary C:
I haven't tried smoking them, but these are outstanding on the grill with just some salt and pepper seasoning.

The boneless ribs that I've had were already sliced about an inch thick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah these are about an inch thick as well. So you think I would be better off just grilling them? I considered that but thought they might end up tough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Got camera???

Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but they're frozen wrapped in freezer paper right now. Im going to wait until next weekend to cook them, I'll post a few pictures then.

the ones i get from costco are a chuck but well marbled and taste good. got some i'm doing tonight. not sure about smoking as i just grill them. indirect for awhile and then direct for a bit of char. taste great. need to cut across the grain to make sure they are "soft". will be interested in what they are like "smoked".

Back