Has anyone cooked this....

Tom in VA

TVWBB Member
I went to the grocery store and I saw boneless country style ribs. I figuered what the ..ll, I'll try something I have not seen before. I brought them home and I realized, I have no idea how to cook them. They weigh about a pound and a half. If anyone has tried these things before please let me know. I could grill them on my gas grill but I would rather smoke 'em.

But, I'm clueless about this meat.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

Tom,

They're cut up shoulder or butts. I've never tried to cook them like butt although I've read postings saying it could be done.

They can also cut into 1" chunks and put into a Carne Adovada sauce and smoked in a disposable aluminum pan. Yum yum...all time favrite!

I usually just grill them like big thick pork chops. Indirect medium heat, sauce & turn the last half hour or so. Yummy!
icon_biggrin.gif

JimT

[DISCLAIMER--I am not the author of either of these recipes. I picked them up off the net. I think at least one of them is courtesy of a Frank Bailey. I have made the second recipe and it turns out delisious, especially in a flour tortilla wrap with lettuce and tomatoes and cheese. I cannot vouch for the first recipe but it sounds good, too. Everything that follows is cut and paste from the net.DWFII]

CARNE ADOVADA

4 tablespoons canola oil--6 tablespoons all purpose flour--1/2 cup New Mexico chille powder (your choice hot or mild)--5 cups warm water--3/4 teaspoon garlic powder--1 1/2
tablespoons dried oregano--1/2 teaspoons cumin--1 1/2 tablespoons salt--1 teaspoon minced onions--6 lbs cubed pork. In a frying pan heat the oil over a med. heat, stir in flour and
brown. Blend in the chilli. add water and stir untill all lumps are all gone, then add garlic, oregano, cumin, onions, and salt, simmer on med heat for maybe 10-15 min. after the mixture
is cooled I pour it over the pork in a large flat casserole dish (cover it) and goes into the frig for 24 hours. Then goes into smoker (no cover on dish) smoke at 300 deg. for 2 1/2
hours to asorbe the smoke,stir maybe ever 45 min. Then cover and cook maybe another 2 hours untill tender and it falls apart, and it is well cooked.

I cook it along with my butts....I use 1/2 size foil pans and move it to one side so the butts won't drip in to it. I cook my butts @205 degs and I put the carne in some time during the cook and just cook it up untill it is tender and thickened, got to stir the carne up about every 45 minutes to asorb the smoke and to keep the top of the pan from scumming over. you may have to skim some of the grease off, just depends on the amount of fat in meat.

CARNE ADOVADA #2

4 pounds boned pork butts, fat trimmed, cut into 1-inch slices
2 1/2 cups Red Chile Sauce as shown below

1 teaspoon salad oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 to 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
3 ounces (10 to 14 about 6-in.-long) dried New Mexico chiles I perfere Chimayo red
Salt as you like
In a 3 to 4-quart pan over medium heat, stir oil, onion, and garlic often until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Remove onion from pan and set aside.
Place chilies in a single layer in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan. Bake in a 300 degrees~ oven until chilies smell slightly toasted (watch closely; chilies scorch easily and develop a bitter taste if burned), about 5 minutes; cool. Remove and discard chili stems and seeds. Rinse chilies; drain and break into pieces into pan used for onion. Add 3 cups water. Cover and
simmer until chilies are soft, about 15 minutes; drain, reserving water.
Whirl chilies and onion in a blender or food processor, gradually adding 1 1/2 cups reserved water. When smoothly pureed, pour mixture into pan. Cover, bring to a boil on high
heat, and simmer 15 minutes; stir often. Add salt to taste. Use hot; or, if making ahead, cool, cover, and chill up to 3 days or freeze. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
Mix pork slices, red chile sauce, and oregano in a 9- by 13-inch pan; cover tightly with foil marinate in the fridge for 12 – 24 hrs.
Bake in a 350 |degrees in oven until meat is very tender when pierced, about 3 hours.
I also slow cook in the pit when I cook my butts at 220 degs, or alone I will cook at 275- 300deg’s and stir every hour until pork is tender and the sauce is kinda thick.
Skim and discard fat. Add salt to taste. Serves 8 to 10

I usually use them to make ribs and sauerkraut.

I brown / sear them in a big pot. Cover with beer and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes add sauerkraut and seasonings. Cook for about another 30 to 45 minutes. Dumplings are optional.

I lied to my Aunts. I told them I got spare ribs and cut the bones out just so they wouldn't have to worry about big bones.

Back