Has anybody ever seen one of these?

I was able to read a little more about Straubelstone. It seems that back in the 90's they were a force in split gas log fireplaces. They decided to expand, including into quality stainless steel grills for which they had a modest dealership network. Unfortunately, debt and a down in the economy put them out of business. The good news for owners - and I suppose would-be restorers - is that a person from the company has maintained relationships with Straubelstone's suppliers and has a supply of many key parts. His website offers a wide selection.

The burners do look a lot like those from a Weber Q. The only pricey consumable I noted was their equivalent to the flavorizer. The other negative is that although the grill is mostly stainless, the original grates are porcelain-covered steel.

So, this grill is 15 or more years old. It is not for me. I plan to use a Weber - probably a 300 series - for my recreation of a Snap-On grill. It is interesting to learn about another orphan brand, though. It looks like they had an overall decent product and good intentions. That one for sale doesn't look all that bad for how old it is.

Last edited:
Ohhh, Wow, that 1970 model looks like the exact grill that was on our back deck for many years growing up. The house was built in 1969 and the grill was put on the deck (Permanent install) a year or two later so that makes sense. I remember my father went through lava rocks, ceramic briquets and a couple other solutions. I know that thing worked for many, many years with little maintenance...probably never really cleaned out ever. Just swaping out rocks and briquets and I think even ceramic plates trying to keep up with the newest fad.

Most of you guys already know that I am an easy mark for old and off the wall grills. However, on this one, I do think there are some (maybe not too many, but some) people who would pay well for a nicely restored example of one of these 50 year old classics. With all that cast aluminum, a restoration should be a doable thing.

It reminds me a little of the Weber's "Seville" cart for their kettle grill which was from the same era of wrought iron yard furniture. There is a cult following for this stuff.

For free, I would be all over that!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...AgDEA0&biw=1716&bih=915#imgrc=xgapLqYBd82_5M:

BroilMaster also made one almost identical to that. The one in your reference from MHP was the parent company of CharBroil or CharmGlow and IIRC based in the far north Chicago burbs (Waukegan I believe). All on that same basic tenet Heavy build, thick cast aluminum bodies, simple one or 2 burner construction, a VERY deep fire box so you could get some of that kiss of flame but not the inferno

Back