hard shell crabs

I can't see that any good would come of it. But, I've done softshells on the grill. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and don't over-cook. Who's Ginger?

I do oysters and clams on the gas grill. You just need some heat to cook them, but don't over cook.

I think you could smoke hard shell crab same as scallops but must be low heat. I don't find anything about Crab in the giant Paul Kirk cookbook seafood section.

If you have a large pot and a burner I dont think you can cook them any better than following the directions on an Old Bay can. It basically says boil water add Old Bay then add crabs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you have a large pot and a burner I dont think you can cook them any better than following the directions on an Old Bay can. It basically says boil water add Old Bay then add crabs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old Bay is awesome.

I put them on ice to tame them. Then I pull them off the ice, immediately shell and clean them, season with Old Bay and then steam them using a large steamer pot and a propane burner rig.

I like steaming better then boiling. Old Bay stays on and meat keeps more flavor.

If you do boil, put some Old Bay in a finger bowl and dip your fingers into it while picking.

During Dunguness season, will boil them plain/unseasoned -- a family favorite, and serve w/ melted butter. There's a couple of references to grilling already cooked crabs wrapped in foil w/ butter (and etc) in the recipes section.

Icing also keeps the crabs from ejecting their claws. They have a defence mechanisim that if attacked they can let a claw go to escape. Tossing them in boiling water causes them to do this and why most people who boil crabs or crawfish find the claws at the bottom of the pot. As far a smoking, I wouldn't, but if you clean them marinate them, us a wok on the grill and stir fry with lots of garlic. Put you elbows on the table and pick till your sick.

Can't ignore such a fine landmark!
Your cook last summer looked FanTasTic!!
love the slideshow!!

You could think about stuffing them, and sealing them in a folded "envelope" of buttered parchment paper ("en papillote" in French cooking - look-up some ideas on the Web).

This steams them - You'd probably want relatively high heat, but I don't know if any smokiness would permeate the paper.

Still, it looks impressive when you give a little sealed package to your guests, and they open them up, letting the steam and smells escape. Read a recipe a long time ago for Pompano or Sole stuffed with a crab-based filling, done this way - made my mouth water!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you have a large pot and a burner I dont think you can cook them any better than following the directions on an Old Bay can. It basically says boil water add Old Bay then add crabs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old Bay is awesome.

I put them on ice to tame them. Then I pull them off the ice, immediately shell and clean them, season with Old Bay and then steam them using a large steamer pot and a propane burner rig.

I like steaming better then boiling. Old Bay stays on and meat keeps more flavor.

If you do boil, put some Old Bay in a finger bowl and dip your fingers into it while picking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good cleaned like that first I also split them in half once the top and bottom are stripped, I think the seasoning gets into the meat better. I usually add garlic, some pepper flakes to the old bay as well. I elevate the crabs over pear and all the spices go on the crabs not in the drink. And I use beer not water for the liquid.

I've done shellfish and other crustaceans on the grill with great results but not in the smoker.

Don't know if I'd want to do crabs in either, but that's just me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Here is a crab cook I did last summer, it turned out great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Michele, I missed the post first time around. Killer slide show.

Thank You all for your feedback. Normally we do just boil them in old bay, but she was curious about the smoker. Sorry it took awhile to get back to you all.

Back