HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN WAYNE

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Timothy, so sorry this is late. Hope you had a good celebration!!!!!

To quote you,
"Still doing the John Wayne birthday festivities, brisket, beer, beans, bourbon, Mettwurst, mezcal, Mac and cheese, Malbec. At least, that’s more or less the plan. We shall see how it all plays out."

Well, in good Anglican tradition, since it fell in the middle of the week and we all know what too much whiskey can lead to (think the clay slide scene in McKlintock) I have translated the party to Saturday, no one will have great projects for the next morning but, it looks like it might be chilly around here.
Just had a response from an invitee “Should I bring “Texas Twinkies”? REALLY? Of course you should!

Pat’s version of poppers, split, seeded jalapeños. Stuffed with leftover brisket (if there was any from the last time) or pulled pork and wrapped in bacon dropped on the kettle to roast up (or crisp up) the bacon. They were a huge hit last time, my grandson went after them like there was no tomorrow! I just sent him a note giving him a tentative count so, I hope he makes a bucket of them! I’ll post pictures if I remember. Too much “Duke” bourbon might cause me to forget so, I’ll apologize in advance😉

They are pretty good! I’m considering doing the “Monster dinosaur Mac and cheese” recipe that showed up here last week. Will use an old recipe of my dad’s for the beans. They will be a bit on the sweet side so, I will have to watch that. But, I’m more inclined to over indulge in the brisket.

I did do the Mac and cheese Joan, granddaughter liked them very much.
I’m getting geared up for this years party, going all appetizers this year, earlier in the afternoon, one of the guests is 95 and doesn’t like to eat late and will want to be home before dark.

This years menu will be an all appetizer menu, guests adding to my list of hassleback Mettwurst, with peppers and fig jam, Vortex wings, guests will be be adding to the treats. I’m kind of thinking of “True Grit” dessert grits cakes is in consideration, I’m still considering a few more options.

IT'S HERE!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN WAYNE (2022)
Born May 26, 1907
Died June 11, 1979 (72 yrs.)

we miss you!!!!!

Last edited:
Barb espically and I are big fans of John Wayne. So, in honor of his birthday, we're doing the Grilled Chicken with Rustic Mustard Sauce from his book John Wayne Way to Grill. With corn on the bone and baked beans.
Was going to do something more involved but I'm also doing an almost 12 pound pork butt which will occupy most of my day.

This was tonight's dinner.

Spiced Pork Patties

1 lb. ground pork
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, chopped and divided
1 tsp. salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
10 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup shredded cabbage

1. Heat grill to medium. In bowl, combine pork, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, egg, onion parsley, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Mix thoroughly with your hands. Form mixture into 1 1/2" balls, then press into football shapes.
2. Grease up your grill grates. Grill patties, turning once, until cooked through or 8 to 10 minutes total.
3. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt and remaining garlic. Divide salad greens among 4 serving plates. Top with patties and drizzle with yogurt sauce. Serve immediately.

Source: John Wayne Way to Grill-2015

DH gave it a "Very Good" and I gave it a "Good" Sorry, no pictures but if you make this recipe you can look at your own patties and also know how it taste. lol

Last edited:
bumping this up a few days early in case someone else wants the pork patties for dinner Friday also.

Back