Hanging ribs on the WSM.

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
SvGTiJw.jpg

I like cooking PBC-style like that. I also have the Weber Expandable Rack that I’ve used for everything from chicken, to turkey, to smoking kielbasa, summer sausage and bacon ...and ribs. Your’s look awesome.

The picture is the Weber brand rack that is no longer made.

Hunsaker makes hanging racks that fit the 22 and 18 (which I have). So does Gateway.

Works great for ribs.

Cool pic and I like your stash of firewood.

I need to get a hanging rib rack setup. What brand of rib rack are you using on the 18" WSM?

I own two 18" WSM and one 22" WSM.

Cheer
I am a satisfied "Gateway 18" Drum Rib Hanger" Customer which sits atop my WSM 18" Year 2008 "Classic".

Last edited:
Richard -- can you hang a full length slab on the 18 with the Gateway?

I can get a full St. Louis slab to hang on my Hunsaker 18 with a few inches of clearance above the coals. But unless I'm cooking big mass quantities, I usually cut the slabs in half for more clearance and less worry about the ribs falling, double hooking, etc. Even cut in half, you can still fit a lot of stuff by hanging.

Cool pic and I like your stash of firewood.

I need to get a hanging rib rack setup. What brand of rib rack are you using on the 18" WSM?

I own two 18" WSM and one 22" WSM.

Cheers
Thanks. This is the Weber folding rack for the 18. I bought it from a guy that never used it. He told me that Weber discontinued them. The Hunsakers look nice.

I can get a full St. Louis slab to hang on my Hunsaker 18 with a few inches of clearance above the coals. But unless I'm cooking big mass quantities, I usually cut the slabs in half for more clearance and less worry about the ribs falling, double hooking, etc. Even cut in half, you can still fit a lot of stuff by hanging.
The discontinued Weber rack takes full advantage of the dome space. I always hook them on the larger bone end and 3 bones down with the PBC hooks I bought. Looks like the others do not rise as high into the dome. Have not had a rack pull apart and fall into the fire yet.

I have done only 1/2 Slab's using the Hunsaker Vortex Plate which tops the WSM Charcoal Ring,

I use the Gateway and am very happy with it. I have never had a problem with anything falling off, but lay a grate over the coals just to be safe...

Ribs look great so far. I much prefer the Hunsaker rack. Those loose cross members on the Weber expandable rack always bothered me. When the racks are loaded, usually with sausages for me, it was easy to dislodge a cross piece by bumping it. Looks like you may have secured yours with wire ties.

Back