Handles for 22"

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
Jim Bloomfield posted a picture of this mod in an earlier thread, but I figured I would elaborate on my addition of handles for the 22" smoker. Plus, I prefer the look of the black handles.

I purchased 4 black heavy duty gate pulls at Home Depot. Here is an image in the packaging. They were around $6 each.
IMG_1514.jpg

Stock, they don't fit as the top will hit the upper lip of the smoker. So, I used a hacksaw to cut off the top points.
IMG_1517.jpg

Touched them up with some hi-temp bbq paint.
IMG_1520.jpg

Mounted on the smoker. They fit perfectly.
IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

that's nice that the holes line up! thanks for the pics, pat! and it looks like the cover will slide on and off very easily.

Liked your handles so much, I went out and bought the same ones at Lowe's. I can't believe they have the same centers as the upper rack brackets, most fortunate.

They look great.

Cheftiger
GEAUX TIGERS

That's a creative was of doing it. I'm impressed. If I had a 22", I'd be looking into doing this myself.

Hi... thanks for the modification idea and pics. I got my 22.5 WSM delivered this week and it sits in the living room assembled much to my wife's dismay. The weather in the Pacific Northwest has been a pain in the butt, snowed yesterday with more today and tomorrow, so there it sits. I was looking and trying to visualize what modification I need to make for easier handling... Thanks again.

a hui hou,
joe (aka honu41)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck R:
Does the cover fit over the handles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it fits without a problem.

Looks great.

Is it easy lifting the center with those handles? Is there enough clearance for your hands?

I worry about singing the backs of my fingers.

My new 18" is in the box in my garage. It will probably remain there for awhile.

The holes on the 18" are 6" center to center. Are they the same on the 22"

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do everything prior to setting it up for it's first cook.

That might be the summer of 2010!

Yeah, it works fine. I wear gloves when I lift it off.

The holes on the 18" are closer together, and you can use most standard garage door replacement handles. They are cheaper, like $6 for a pair.

Singing? So how do I spell the word I wanted to use?

My hands don't sing.

It's off to Home Depot today on my lunch break.

Why didn't I think of gloves? I use them all the time with my OTG. DUH.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marlene Steinberg:
My hands don't sing.

Why didn't I think of gloves? I use them all the time with my OTG. DUH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that you had a special talent.

I use a pair of welding gloves that are pretty easy to maneuver in, versus the traditional big mitten style bbq gloves.

Those look great, the black is slick!

For another option, here is what I put on my 18.5 yesterday. They are garage door handles from Lowes (same concept as yours, just different style). Easy install, the holes lined up great.

I just had to lift off my center section for a coal stirring, and they worked great. Plenty of clearance, and they were cool to the touch, didn't need gloves at all.

WSMhandles.jpg

I bought the black gate handles and installed them on my 22 as per Pat’s instructions. Great modification! I found that, with a 19” terracotta plate in place, the grills and top, it was a little unbalanced to lift, so I ended up placing the handles opposite (180º) each other rather than on each side of the door. Also, my probe grommets are on the brackets on the right side of the door

I put my 18 1/2 together this morning and this is my handle mod:

505gex.jpg

I used 4 hood handles from the old style Ducane gassers.

Now the cover won't fit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marlene Steinberg:
Now the cover won't fit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Look on the bright side...now you've got a smoker/coat rack!
icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

Back