Hand forged steak turner...

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
A smithy friend of mine forged this up and sent to me as a gift, a hand forged steak turner...

Got rained out on Sunday evening when I was gonna try it out, but the weather folks were on our side in Cali today, so I tested it out on a tri-tip.

I know my style of cooking tri-tip goes against the grain on TVWBB, in the sense that I sear first, then cook indirect, but it works for me.

Very easy, stab a bunch of holes in both sides of the tri-tip, marinade overnight if possible using regular Bernsteins Italian dressing. And if your lucky enough, a hand forged turner straight from a blacksmith in Idaho.

marinade-poker.jpg

Then you baste and sear the outside:

searing.jpg

Finally you end up with something that looks like this:

tri-tip.jpg

You can see a full gallery here, if you like.

EDIT: I like how this meat looks smoldering on the grill...I'm sure there's reasons you wouldn't want to do that, but it looks cool...and it tasted pretty darn good...
icon_smile.gif
We made quesadillas and salad with it. Now I'm out of meat...
icon_frown.gif

tri-done-searing.jpg

Looks tasty to me. I've only done a couple tris, and I keep them very simple. I think if I had acess to more of them, I could expand my horizons, but for now, just a simple salt/pepp/garlic powder/onion powder and on the grill is what I do. In my book, the tri is very near the top of the heap for grill worthy meats.

Back