Ham temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMcK

TVWBB Fan
Hey gang!
I've bought an eight pound, shank end, cured, ready to cook hunk-o-ham and have been reading up on cooking techniques. I'm curious why the temp posted on the recipe section here is 325*.
Can you not cook slo & low to introduce more smoke to the beast? The band is coming over for rehearsal tomorrow and I was hoping to put it on in the morning and drive the boys mad with anticipation!
Happy trails ya'll

In my opinion, it would be fine to smoke a "ready to cook" ham in the "low & slow" 225-250*F range. In the Whole Ham topic, I cooked at 325*F because that's the recommendation of the ham producer and the USDA for "ready to cook" hams.

Remember, your ham probably already has some smoke flavor, so don't over do the smoke wood.

Have fun,
Chris

Thanks Chris -but I think you could have been a little bit more prompt with your reply /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif -you do outstanding work! Oh, I made the suggested glaze but dropped 1/2 cup sugar and added 4 heaping T's of crushed pineapple, let the sugar dissolve on a double boiler and put the motor boat prop to it. None of the flavors are over powering -great glaze. I had run out of JD so thanks for forcing me to buy more!
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back