Ham for T-day

Sam Smith

I want to smoke a ham for T-day. I don't want to use a ready-to-eat one. I saw the info about using a ready-to-cook one. I didn't see anything about using a raw ham.

Would I benefit at all from picking a raw ham? It wouldn't have any added smoke flavor, and I'd be able to cook it low and slow the whole day. Would that help the texture?

Hi Sam,

Since your post is not a pork recipe, I'm going to move it shortly to the Barbecuing forum.

To your question...what you refer to as a "raw ham" is better known as a fresh ham. That's the hind leg that has not been cured. When you cook it, it turns out similar to pork shoulder--good pork flavor, but no cured ham taste. This is quite tasty, but none of that cured flavor and pink interior color.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't buy a cured, uncooked ham. The "ready to cook" ham is the closest thing you can get--a ham that's cured and partially cooked and you finish cooking at home to a food-safe temperature.

However, you will find recipes on the web for wet curing your own fresh ham at home. I've never tried this.

You'll find a lot more info about ham in the Ham Selection & Preparation article.

Regards,
Chris

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Now, I put this question to the community: if anyone lives in Gainesville, FL, do you know where I can get a ready-to-cook ham? I've so far only found fresh and ready-to-eat versions.

Back