Ham Flavor Question

Ryan H

TVWBB Member
I smoked a ham last weekend (to be honest it was a bonless picnic roast that i cured). I coated it with memphis dust, and i didn't find that it complimented the ham nicely.With the cured meat its all nice and salty, then bam! Sweet! I don't like sweet ham . . . what are your suggestions/experiences. Would i be ok to just smoke a cured ham with no rub? I don't see why not, but I'm open to new suggestions :)

I often have smoked a cured ham with no rub. Since we enjoy a little sweetness I generally apply a cherry glaze at the end. I would suggest trying a finishing glaze that gives the flavor balance you want
Mike

I think you'd be fine with no rub since like you said its already salty and you don't want sweet. Or just lightly salt and had whatever savory spices you want.

You could also go with a savory rub with some heat or do the same with a paste rub or glaze.
Experiment it's all good.:wsm:

Tim

This may be sacrilege, but I've done pork butts several times with no seasoning at all. Just pork butt on the smoker. It came out pretty tasty. I can't see any reason why you couldn't do the same with a cured picnic.

I totally lost track of this thread! Thanks for the solid input! I think maybe I'll try nothing, and work my way up from there. It should be easier to build a flavor profile I like that way :)

I've cured and smoked a couple of hams not too long ago (one was a pork leg, one a picnic arm/shoulder). I didn't use a rub, only garlic/bay leaves/peppercorns for flavor in the curing brine. Both turned out to be very good. I think you are fine without a rub, and any flavor profile you want to add at the end can come from a glaze.

I've cured and smoked a couple of hams not too long ago (one was a pork leg, one a picnic arm/shoulder). I didn't use a rub, only garlic/bay leaves/peppercorns for flavor in the curing brine. Both turned out to be very good. I think you are fine without a rub, and any flavor profile you want to add at the end can come from a glaze.

That does sound good, I like simplicity!

I think that which type of wood that you choose to smoke your ham with is more important than any rub or glaze. Keep it simple.

I think that which type of wood that you choose to smoke your ham with is more important than any rub or glaze. Keep it simple.

What kind of wood do you recommend? I used pecan on one and some small pieces from a grape vine on the other.

I know in the store it's always hickory smoked ham . . . I use maple for everything because it's Canada, and it's everywhere :)

Back