Half Flat Brisket Need Help

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
I went to the local wholesale store today to get a brisket for my weekend cookout (earlier post). I got the larget one they had and it was a half flat weighing in at 4lbs. I wanted to do an overnight cook, but when I reviewed Chris' directions, He had 2 larger briskets for his over night. Do you all think that 8-10 hours on an over night would be too much for a 4lb brisket?

I have never cooked one that small.

Cooking two brisket flats instead of one does not matter once the wsm gets to temp. The time needed to complete the process depends on the temps cooked at and the cut of meat.

Typically, I only cook packers. My only concern here is having the flat dry out.

I think your time line is Ok if it's a choice cut. If it's a select cut I'd definitely cook it high heat.

Interesting. I was just going to the site to post my question of how to cook my 3 lb. brisket I just picked up at SClub. I've done a few in the past as longer cooks. I think I need help with this one. Sorry for piggy backing on your post.

MikeZ

For a single 4 pounder, I wouldn't bother with the overnighter. I recommend the high heat cook as it will probably retain more moisture.

What to do, what to do. I got mine at SClub too. I also got to chickens. I guess I could split the chicken put them on the lower rack and put the brisket on top and smoke at 325-350 with a dry water pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
Interesting. I was just going to the site to post my question of how to cook my 3 lb. brisket I just picked up at SClub. I've done a few in the past as longer cooks. I think I need help with this one. Sorry for piggy backing on your post.

MikeZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, feel free to piggy back anytime!

I do mostly do small briskets at 285-300 deg. I start checking mine after about 4 hrs. or so. Most go longer but some , for reasons unknown decide to get done early.

Would it be wrong to marinate this over night in some allero or dales? Would that kill the smoke flavor?

First time for brisket and I loved it. Only had it once before in a restaurant and was not impressed. That is why I never tried one on the WSM. You all convinced to to try it and I am glad you did! Smoked it for about 4 hours (3 would have been better as it was well done) and it was delicious. What a beautiful smoke ring! I'll be doing these more often!

Back