Had some BAD Q today

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
I went to the Smokey Pig today despite the bad review I read here.

All of my coworkers told me how good it was regardless of what this said.

The owner told me the shoulder was good when I was ordering. That is what I ordered. It was horrible!

Sliced butt that was so dry and tough, it was like eating over done country ham. Like this article says, this guy is way proud of his sauce. WAY TOO hot and lends NO compliment to the meat. Speaking of, the meat has no smoke flavor. Wonder if he fried it?
Anyway, the point of my post, does anyone else Q shoulder this way? Thin and chewy.....people here tell me it is the towns best. I may need to move!

My friend, I've been judging KCBS competitions for a few years now, and I have eaten some real fine BBQ

However, there was a time that I liked going to Applebees for the all you can eat Riblets, and I enjoyed Lloyd's prepackaged ribs. I think I was like your friends - in terms of good barbecue, I didn't know $hit from shinola.

I can't go to most Q joints anymore - but I can do up some fine stuff for you.

Don't eat barbecue in restaurants - with rare exceptions, you will be disapointed
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't eat barbecue in restaurants - with rare exceptions, you will be disapointed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Rich. After I got my WSM and made my own, I have not found any restaurant that even comes close.... and I used to think a few local Q joints were pretty good.... but I have a new standard!

Ray

ITA, after I started making my own Q, I learned how BBQ should be. I discovered that the BBQ restaurants that I had thought were pretty good were actually quite awful.

A couple of months ago, I sampled ribs at five BBQ restaurants in my area. Four of the restaurants simply grilled untrimmed, unseasoned spares. They relied on their sauce for flavor. In every case, the spares were fatty and burned.

The fifth restaurant actually turned out to be pretty good. I wasn't even going to try it because it was a national chain, but I went any way. That restraurant served spares and baby backs Q'ed similarly to how folks here might do it. That restaurant was Sonny's BBQ -- a complete surprise to me.

Yeah, Sonny's has some of the best BBQ I've found in a restaurant. Before we started Qing ourselves, we thought it was the best stuff on earth. Like Ray said, now that we have a new set of standards I would rate it as good - definitely above passable but not as good as home smoked. In addition to Sonny's, the Corky's on the SW side of Lexington here in KY has some of the best ribs I've eaten out, and I've eaten a lot of ribs.

SONNY'S YUCK. Yuck Sonny's! I've eaten a few meals there that were totally insipid. They even served me a burger that consisted of a beef patty on a bare bun. No accompaniment of lettuce, tomato, pickle nor onion. Screw Sonny's.

I have to agree with you, Luke, Corky's would be the place I would go if eating ribs out in a restaurants. I guess I am just going to have to no longer eat Q out.....might have to eat more sushi out. I know I can't to that at home!

Matt,
I'v actually got all the stuff at home to do it, but the more I think about it, Q is enough of an obsession right now!
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
SONNY'S YUCK. Yuck Sonny's! I've eaten a few meals there that were totally insipid. They even served me a burger that consisted of a beef patty on a bare bun. No accompaniment of lettuce, tomato, pickle nor onion. Screw Sonny's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I can eat their ribs, but I find their pork cue and sliced beef to be extremely dry and flavorless. They've recently added pulled brisket, which is only okay. Also, the next time someone drags me into a Sonny's, I'm taking my own dang sauce! No vinegar sauce?!?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike B.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
SONNY'S YUCK. Yuck Sonny's! I've eaten a few meals there that were totally insipid. They even served me a burger that consisted of a beef patty on a bare bun. No accompaniment of lettuce, tomato, pickle nor onion. Screw Sonny's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I can eat their ribs, but I find their pork cue and sliced beef(I don't know what it is, but it ain't brisket) to be extremely dry and flavorless. They've recently added pulled "brisket", which is only okay but is soaked in sauce. Also, the next time someone drags me into a Sonny's, I'm taking my own dang sauce! No vinegar sauce?!?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that a no to Sonny's?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
My friend, I've been judging KCBS competitions for a few years now, and I have eaten some real fine BBQ

However, there was a time that I liked going to Applebees for the all you can eat Riblets, and I enjoyed Lloyd's prepackaged ribs. I think I was like your friends - in terms of good barbecue, I didn't know $hit from shinola.

I can't go to most Q joints anymore - but I can do up some fine stuff for you.

Don't eat barbecue in restaurants - with rare exceptions, you will be disapointed
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rich, I would say you are correct. These poor saps have just never had good Q. I have to say I laughed at your Riblets comment!

Back