Had another shut down

Hi Darian, sorry to hear that. I hope you can re-use your Smokefire. A very good thing you caught that in time. I once had that grease fire and it burned everything inside…. Meat, probes, grates, … Weber replaced the probes only. Grates, I bought extra those GBS ones so I used them. After that, I try to use some kind of shield underneath the meat to prevent the grease getting down to the fire.

The sw should never shut down during a cook just because it is updating. That is not acceptable. Whether that was the cause or not, Weber sw is nowhere close to perfect. It has updates every so often and was only recent they introduced the graphic temperature profile. It is getting there. Slowly. SW assist brings convenience but it is to be babysat for now much like autonomous driving. At least autonomous driving has many heavy duty companies researching on it. Although simple, cooking (grilling, barbecuing, and smoking) does not get that much of attention.

I pulled all the racks, V bars, shoot and fire pot. Didn’t find anything unusual except about a pound and a half of pellets spewed all around the fire pot. So it was definitely feeding pellets fine. I also pulled the auger and came out freely and was very clean.
I put everything back together and fired it up. It immediately went into shutdown mode saying it was not shut down correctly. I let it run till it shut down.
I unplugged again and restarted. running at 375 now just to run it and all is well.

What happened to you was the classic aftermath of a flameout and then a botched restart. Not caused by you but by the grill. 18 months ago I deliberately set up a test to get that big fire but I didn't have meat nor my ambient probe in the cook chamber. That fire didn't damage anything. I have deliberately set grease fires and they never damaged the grill. Unfortunately, you had some good meat in the grill when it occurred. It sure looks like you have it under control. Those Pork Loins look great.

What happened to you was the classic aftermath of a flameout and then a botched restart. Not caused by you but by the grill. 18 months ago I deliberately set up a test to get that big fire but I didn't have meat nor my ambient probe in the cook chamber. That fire didn't damage anything. I have deliberately set grease fires and they never damaged the grill. Unfortunately, you had some good meat in the grill when it occurred. It sure looks like you have it under control. Those Pork Loins look great.
Good info Lew. Do you know if you're using the app, will it tell you a flameout happened / happening? I too deliberately set grease fires, I call it the self cleaning cycle, LOL

Once the grease fire starts, I generally open the grill and shut it down, letting the grease burn on it's own

Good info Lew. Do you know if you're using the app, will it tell you a flameout happened / happening? I too deliberately set grease fires, I call it the self cleaning cycle, LOL

Once the grease fire starts, I generally open the grill and shut it down, letting the grease burn on it's own
The app will not alert you. I have an InkBird that I can use for that but I rarely do. :unsure:

Back