Habanero Chicken Sausage

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
This isn't much of a photo post, but I wanted to give my endorsement for this Jim Minion recipe from over in the Poultry Recipes section. Sausage making is kind of a messy affair, so there's not much photographic evidence of it. Here it is stuffed but not yet smoked.

24BE6CFB-06DF-478F-90BE-4DE3117FB561-1095-000001518892BD09.jpg

And this is the sausage after a light Maple smoke, then grilled and sliced. Underneath it is a bowl of a cherry tomato/jalapeno pasta.

A46A869A-9FBA-4AEE-A101-490EA28C5B04-1095-000001518395A479.jpg

In case you were wondering, most of the heat is already removed when you seed and remove the membrane from the pepper. The cayenne and crushed red add some heat back in, but I actually could have gone for a little bit more. Thanks for looking!

Very nice looking plate. I really need to try out that sausage stuffer and grinder I got last Christmas.

Didja 'some-what' freeze your chicken b4 grinding? It is a lot "wetter" than pork (actually, it helps to slightly freeze any meat b4 grinding) and the freezing would really help, not just the grind but the stuff as well.

Last edited:
Didja 'some-what' freeze your chicken b4 grinding? It is a lot "wetter" than pork (actually, it helps to slightly freeze any meat b4 grinding) and the freezing would really help, not just the grind but the stuff as well.

I didn't freeze it, but it was kept cold at all times. Chilled-deboned-chilled-ground-chilled-stuffed-chilled-smoked-chilled. Cutting it into strips works well with chicken, as with any meat.

Terrific looking long bird brat Jon!
It's "make do" night here, and I could go for a pate of that chicken sausage pasta stuff!

OK, so no one else asked, or I am the only one in the not knowing corner..........Jon, what are the little vermicelli-like offerings on the outside of the casing ? They look like attachments to the mesentery or something. Dave

OK, so no one else asked, or I am the only one in the not knowing corner..........Jon, what are the little vermicelli-like offerings on the outside of the casing ? They look like attachments to the mesentery or something. Dave

I assume that's a byproduct of manufacturing the collagen casings? That isn't a natural casing. Whatever it is, it's not noticeable when cooked.

Natural casings have these small imperfections. Nothing to worry about, this looks perfectly normal.

Very nice sausages!

Back