Guest of Honor Just Went In

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well a nice scoring of the fat cap, a binder and liberal seasoning of good ol' S&P the 7.5 Boneless Rib roast just went in the Member's Mark. Forecast of rain, so could not take chances with Big Z. Much as I wanted to use it. So MM put to work. Pellets are Smoke House Oak/Hickory 50/50 blend. Gonna run it at 225 until I get the meat up to about 115, then it will get put up to 375, until meat is to my finish temp of 135 (don't laugh I really don't like rare prime rib preferring med rare to med). It will then get wrapped and put into cooler for the hour ride out to McHenry IL where my dad is and on the dinner table along with a nice salad, sides of Penne/Marinara, some nice crimini shrooms (currently in oven with EVOO, half a head of garlic and black pepper) roasting down then will taste and settle on final seasoning with salt. Salad, Carprese, wine and so on. Hoping all goes well here. Lots riding on it.

Update on shrooms. This was something a little "new" for me to try. So, I bought 3# of "baby bellas" at Costco. Washed, drained, quartered. Dumped into large deep sheet pan. Tossed with maybe 1/4 cup or so EVOO, half head of garlic (in cleaned cloves left whole but slightly "broken" or "crushed". A few fresh grinds of black pepper and once all tossed into a 450 convection oven. Left until they reduced and moisture was gone and shrooms were beginning to caramelize. Pulled the sheet pan, tossed in a little of my special "drizzling" EVOO (unfiltered single farm sourced from Sicily). A little bit of fine sea salt. Wow! Best ever! Evoked taste/texture memories of the wild shrooms my dad and my grandpa used to forage, and my grandma would cook. The flavors concentrated and the texture became "meaty". Of course those 3#s fit into one little Corelle bowl with a lid LOL.
Meat is doing comfortably in the "sauna" now at 330 deg on my "Smoke". Which BTW failed to work properly this AM. IDK I've had it all of 4 or 5 mos and it doesn't look like it's going to "go the distance" here. Had to do a couple hard resets to get one of the probes to register. Yeah, likely my last piece of Thermo Works Stuff. Too much $$$$ for that level of concern

Looks great!
Better medium than rare. Bet the rest did it good too.
I think it went a little beyond medium. I did not tempt it at the destination, but the rest period became a lot longer than I thought it would be which I think allowed it to go a bit "over". Was still good though and nearly all went. The funny thing was my little 18 mos old granddaughter chowing down on those mushrooms.

I think it went a little beyond medium. I did not tempt it at the destination, but the rest period became a lot longer than I thought it would be which I think allowed it to go a bit "over". Was still good though and nearly all went. The funny thing was my little 18 mos old granddaughter chowing down on those mushrooms.

That reminds me of my son's first Thanksgiving. That year we did a decidedly non-traditional meal with our friends wherein I smoked ribs. . . So there we were at the table with my son, who wasn't even 12 months yet, gumming on the already clean bones! The boy has been a total carnivore ever since!

Glad the meal went over so well! Nothing better than enjoying the fruits of your labor with family and/or friends.

Back