Grouper Help

Glenn W

TVWBB Guru
Got a bunch of fresh filets, want to put em on the WSM, dry foiled pan and lump. What temp and how long would you do them?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

The only reason for the WSM is that I have 4 racks to cook on and quite a few filets to do. I can get temps to 400 on there as well. I could fire up multiple grills if you think direct would be better though!?!?

Nope. I just thought you might be wanting to smoke them rather than grill or roast. For smoking I take one approach, for grilling or roasting another. If the latter I oil well-cleaned grills VERY well, dip the fish in flavored clarified, then roast at 400 or better. No need to flip. Take till just almost cooked through. Residual will handle the rest. It's a rather quick cook; <20, depending on thickness and temps. (Leave them out before cooking for 30 min to warm some.)

I bought some grouper back from a Gulf of Mexico fishing trip a few weeks ago along with some amberjack. I used cedar planks on the kettle to cook the filets. They were moist and very flavorful from the cedar. If you don't like the cedar flavor - I liked the flavor and the smell while cooking - I have seen oak planks as well. I don't think they would add much flavor. Otherwise, I would vote for Kevin's suggestion.

Pat

Back